SQL express on front-End installation (split Partition?!) RRS feed

• Question

• HI ALL.

is it a good idea to split the SQL express to different partition when install front end server?
    in case of a full SQL installation on dedicated server of course i split the LOGS , DB, TEMP LOGS/DB. to a different petitions.
    but here when install front-end  i dont see any good reason to split it.
    i just want to make sure leave it in C drive as the default of the installation is best practice .

i will install it on virtual environment so i can dynamically expend c drive if needed!

i guess i just want to make sure SQL express in Skype installation is better to leave on C drive and that there is no good reason to split it to dedicated volume (partition) ?

thanks in advance!

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi raz marshalek,

Based on my research,it is not a good idea to split the SQL express to different partition when install front end server.

1. when you install the SFB server at the begin,you have specified the installed path like the following screenshot,and you click “prepare first standard edition server”,this process of installation are no where to specific path of SQL Express.

2.After you installed the SFB standard version server,the SQL Server stores cannot be modified ,you could refer to the following screenshot.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 5:40 AM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:59 AM
  • hi leo 

thanks for your replay.

i belive your wxample is for standard edition, as per as my question was in edition to enterprise edition front-end server.

i think i stick with c drive as part of the installation as no good reason i am aware of to change directory in that case .

thanks again and have a blessing week!

Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Hi raz,

Thanks for your update.

I am confused about your environment, if you install the SFB enterprise version.you cannot use the SQL Server Express version.the following link you could refer to it about the Back end databases that will work with Skype for Business Server 2015

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951388.aspx#Back end databases that will work with Skype for Business Server 2015

if you want to install local databses to separate drive,you could refer to the following link.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jenstr/2012/11/06/how-install-lync-2013-local-databases-to-a-separate-drive/

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:10 AM