Explorer jumplist now shows Recent instead of Frequent. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I was tweaking the interface to my liking and seeing whether I prefered the Freq/Recent MRU function of the jumplists disabled or enabled but once I reenabled it Explorer shows only Recent items, not Frequent.

I discovered this similar thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/e150e007-c875-46b9-915f-43d69529734f where this is what the OP wanted, but I, on the other hand, do not.

The Mod who answered the other thread said that Explorer will/might go back to Frequent based on usage, I want to know how long this will take, and is there's any way to reset it to Frequent more easily or speed the process along?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Chris

Friday, January 22, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

• Please see my response in the above-linked article.  Explorer will not return to displaying the Frequent category, and I recommend you not use the workaround provided in that thread to control Explorer's Recent/Frequent category display, as it is not reversable.  Windows 7 does not expose a user setting designed to control Explorer's Jump List categories.  Category selection is a choice afforded to each individual application.  Some applications may expose a setting that allows you to change this, but Explorer did not do so.

We do, however, appreciate the feedback that you would prefer to have a Recent category for Explorer.  I will make sure this is shared with the Jump List team.

Thanks,
    Ben Betz
    Windows Developer
    • Proposed as answer by Ben BetzMicrosoft employee Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I have the same issue with the Windows explorer after changing the setting, but the IE8 and some other apps still have the Frequent list. While once we create a new account, we would be able to get the Frequent list in the jumplist again.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Edited by John Cena Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

I have the same issue with the Windows explorer after changing the setting, but the IE8 and some other apps still have the Frequent list. While once we create a new account, we would be able to get the Frequent list in the jumplist again.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Edited by John Cena Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Please see my response in the above-linked article.  Explorer will not return to displaying the Frequent category, and I recommend you not use the workaround provided in that thread to control Explorer's Recent/Frequent category display, as it is not reversable.  Windows 7 does not expose a user setting designed to control Explorer's Jump List categories.  Category selection is a choice afforded to each individual application.  Some applications may expose a setting that allows you to change this, but Explorer did not do so.

We do, however, appreciate the feedback that you would prefer to have a Recent category for Explorer.  I will make sure this is shared with the Jump List team.

Thanks,
    Ben Betz
    Windows Developer
    • Proposed as answer by Ben BetzMicrosoft employee Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by grenole Friday, January 29, 2010 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Ben Betz, just for clarification I *DO NOT* want it to be Recent. I *WANT* it to be Frequent. That's not a "workaround" in the other thread, it's a checkbox in a Windows dialog box that shouldn't irreversably change the way Explorer's jumplist works. As you mention it is not reversable, and this is a bug, so please share that with the Jump List team and hopefully it can be fixed in a future update.

Thank you for your time.

And thank you to John Cena for offering some advice as well. Is there an easy way to open a new account without losing all my programs and settings?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:32 AM
  • If you would like to use a new account, you can use the Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your profiles and settings to your new account. It will take about twenty minutes. You can try the folloing steps.

1. Go to Start –> Type Windows Easy Transfer –> Click Windows Easy Transfer in the search results.
    2. You will get a welcome message to Windows Easy Transfer. Click Next.
    3. Choose an external hard disk or USB flash drive.
    4. choose This is my old computer.
    5. Check the box before your current user account, and click Next.
    6. You can input a password if you want.
    7. Click Save to save the transfer file. The transfer file will be a single file with the extension .MIG. Please remember the location.
    8. Now, you can create a new account, and log off and log on the new account,

9. Open Windows Easy transfer again and click This is my New Computer.
    10. Choose "Yes, open the file" to navigate to the .MIG file.
    11. Check the box before your old account, then click the Advanced Options above the Transfer button, then you choose which user account you want to transfer.
    12. Click Save and Transfer. Now, you can see what are the files that were transferred. You can also see a list of programs you might want to install on your new computer.

Test your machine in the new account now. If it works fine, you can delete the old account completely.

If not, please delete the new account, and move to the step 8, and repeat the step 9 and 10, then check the box before your old account, and click on the Customize button next to this old account, and uncheck the box before Windows Settings,  then click the Transfer button.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Thanks John!

Ben mentioned in the other thread that Explorer has the Recent/Frequent setting exposed at an API level so at the risk of getting in trouble for cross-posting I'll pose my question here as well: Is there no way some tech-savvy individual around here could code up a little utility to flip the switch back to Frequent at the API level with ICustomDestinationList::AppendKnownCategory for those of us who did it by mistake and/or want it back?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:48 AM