none
Run profile needs to be ran twice to process all objects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a sync scenario where I import a CSV file to AD and use the fim portal with codeless sync rules. So far I do the following:

1. Run a File MA  - full import and full sync
    2. Run a FIM MA - export, delta import and delta sync
    3. AD export & delta import

I believe the steps above do the following:

1. Imports from my CSV data source and syncs the CS with the MV
    2. Exports the MV information to the FIM portal, imports the portal changes and performs a delta sync with the MV
    3. Exports the MV objects to AD and performs a sync of AD changes

What I recently noticed is that I ran the steps above and observed the following:

1. File MA 88 projections were shown (along with a number of filtered disconnects).
    2. FIM MA shows 31 projections (along with 119 connectors without flow updates and 116 with)
    3. AD MA exports shows 31 adds (115 updates)

So, I decided to run steps 2 & 3 again to see if the other 57 users are carried across and steps 2& 3 were ran again:

2. Run a FIM MA - export, delta import and delta sync ------------ shows 57 projections
    3. AD export & delta import --------------------------------------------- shows 57 adds

I now have my 88 new users, but I don't know why I needed to run run profiles 2 & 3 twice. I suspect I have something wrong with my run steps, but am not sure. Also, why would the FIM MA show 119 connectors without flow updates and 116 with flow updates? I have around 12,000 objects in the MV, so I'd expect a to see the object count of with and without flow updates equal 12,000 (i.e. 1000 with updates and 11000 without).

Please advse.

Thanks

IT Support/Everything

Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

you can find the request history in the Portal:

Administration > Search Requests

After you export the objects to FIM you should see running requests there for all the Set/Workflow/MPR combinations you have configured.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Aetius2012 Friday, November 8, 2013 12:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

the Portal need some time to apply all the Set/Workflows/MPRs to create outbound ERE to provision or export objects to other data sources.

Try to view the request history after export to FIM MA, and have a look at that, then wait until all requests are finished, then start FIM MA import and sync and after that the AD profiles.

Processing time depends on how complex your rules, Sets, Workflows are. Also the performance of the System like FIMService and SQL.

Your runsteps seems pretty good to me and also your understanding of what happens running them.

Regards
    Peter

Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Thanks for the info Peter.

Where can I view the request history? Currently I simply wait until the FIM MA has a status of idle. Do I need to install a reporting module within FIM (currently I only use sync service and portal).

Thanks 

IT Support/Everything

Monday, November 4, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Hello,

you can find the request history in the Portal:

Administration > Search Requests

After you export the objects to FIM you should see running requests there for all the Set/Workflow/MPR combinations you have configured.

Regards
    Peter

• Marked as answer by Aetius2012 Friday, November 8, 2013 12:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Working with declarative rules as you are doing, you will find that there are invariably more sync cycles required to complete end-to-end synchronisation than you would have probably imagined.  Don't be alarmed by this - you simply have to handle it with adequate run profiles executed in succession until there is no pending activity remaining.

It is almost impossible to do this with any efficiency in a scheduled manner with a Sync config of even minor complexity because you're dealing with unpredictable changing environments.  It is for this reason that I always use the www.fimeventbroker.com approach with FIM sync - i.e. don't try to predict what needs to be run at all. Instead, run only what needs to be run in response to a change event in a connected system (e.g. presence of a delta record in SQL, or a change detected in AD) or within FIM itself (presence of pending exports).

Adopting an event-driven sync model means you no longer have to predict how many run profile executions you need to complete the cycle - you just let syncs run in the order that they are detected (observing rules about what can and can't be done in parallel) until such time as there is nothing left for FIM to do.

If a commercial OOTB option isn't for you then check out this page - the above commercial option is listed alongside various other alternatives.

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com) ... now using FIM Event Broker for just-in-time delivery of FIM 2010 policy via the sync engine, and continuous compliance for FIM

• Edited by UNIFYBobMVP Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:33 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Thank you Peter, your advice, as usual is spot on and appreciated :-)

IT Support/Everything

Friday, November 8, 2013 12:24 PM