none
Error 157 cannot add to protection group as already a memeber - data I did not select to be included! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

DPM 2012 R2 UR2

I'm trying to create a new protection group and include some folders on a server volume "D:\Backup" for example. These folder are not part of another protection group and DPM happily allows me to select them during the PG creation. It is however at the end of this workflow when the create protection group task is being run that it fails with the following error:

Error 157: D:\LUN1\Data cannot be added to protection because it is already a member of a protection group.

The thing is, I DID NOT select D:\LUN1\Data to be included in this new protection group. This is an NTFS mount with the mount point on the same volume as the data I'm trying to create a new protection group for i.e

D:\Backup (local server volume)
    D:\LUN1\Data (NTFS mount for separate iSCSI attached volume)

This mount is protected via a separate PG and DPM does not allow me to select it to be included in this new PG as a result and as expected. However I am not selecting it, yet the error suggests it's being included for some reason.

hope this makes sense.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:21 AM

All replies

• Update - I have potentially found a workaround.

I removed D:\LUN1\Data from its PG.

I was then able to create the new PG to include D:\Backup.

I was then able to modify the original PG to re-include the NTFS mount D:\LUN1\Data without error, just a consistency check.

Seems to be a little inconsistent...

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:30 AM
  • now upon trying to STOP protection of this group I'm getting the same error about ADDING this data to the PG as it's already a member of another group, yet it is NOT part of the PG I'm trying to STOP protecting.

Friday, July 18, 2014 5:40 AM