none
The Microsoft Identity Manager server database couldnot be sucessfully populated RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I am following MIM deployment guide for a POC lab using SQLServer2012 as db. MIM service and Portal fails to complete installation with following error "The Microsoft Identity Manager server database couldnot be sucessfully populated"
    and installer gets stuck with a open command window. The database was created during the installation and it appears the database population failed
    MIM service account have mail attribute manually set since Exchange server is not installed and here is the line from log file

MSI (s) (24:38) [16:34:35:701]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(
     Action=DeployAndPopulateDatabase,
     ActionType=1026,
     Source=BinaryData,
     Target=installApp=FIM
     action=DeployAndPopulateDatabase
     databaseName=FIMService namespaceName="fim" 
     datFilesInstallDir="E:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Service\Data\BL" 
     sqlserverName=CORPIDM
     FIMServiceAccountDomain=contoso
     FIMServiceAccountName=MIMService
     SyncServiceAccountDomain=CONTOSO
     SyncServiceAccountName=MIMSync
     RunningUserDomain=CONTOSO
     RunningUserName=Administrator
     RunningUserEmail= 
     CreateDatabase=True,)

The installer rollback and event viewer has the following error after few minutes even if the database exists.

SQL Database 'SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'CORPIDM' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.""Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config" requested by the login. The login failed.Login failed for user 'CONTOSO\SharePoint."

Kindly help in fixing this error.
    Thanks!

Friday, August 26, 2016 6:52 PM

All replies

• Is CONTOSO\SharePoint a SQL sysadmin?  If not, grant it or use another account to install. 

See also https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh332711(v=ws.10).aspx

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

I added CONTOSO\SharePoint to sysadmin, uninstalled all and did a clean install of everything still the same error. I am using CONTOSO\administrator  account for installation of the MIM Service/Portal and tried CONTOSO\MIMService as well as  CONTOSO\MIMSync as service account during two different attempts.

Why the  RunningUserEmail is blank even thought there is an email attribute set in AD?

Which is the account other than administrator I can be use for MIM Portal installation?

Thanks again!!

Saturday, August 27, 2016 8:26 PM
  • And you have a SQL instance installed on the SQL server named CORPIDM?

When you connect to that CORPIDM SQL instance using SQL Management Studio, are you seeing other databases?  Are you able to create a test DB on that instance using the account you are trying with the installer?

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:13 AM
  • Hi

Is the installer a SharePoint global administrator as I think this is a requirement for the install. Also is the SharePoint side of things set up, i.e. have you run the sharepoint wizard (or configured a FIM Portal site for SP 2013)

Cheers

Danny

Friday, September 9, 2016 8:27 AM