sql express db limit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I've a sql 2005 Express install on my system. I have a db build with sql 2005 (MY_OWN_DB) that reach 4Gb size.

If I upgrade SQL version to SQL 2008 R2, without uninstalling, my db is automaticcaly extended to 10Gb size limit?

Or should I have first to backup the db, create a new one with the same name in SQL 2008 R2 Management console and then restore the backup on the db that i have just create?

And if I detach and attach the db the size limit were update?

TIA

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi I've a sql 2005 Express install on my system. I have a db build with sql 2005 (MY_OWN_DB) that reach 4Gb size.

If I upgrade SQL version to SQL 2008 R2, without uninstalling, my db is automaticcaly extended to 10Gb size limit?

Hi,

did u do inplace upgrade in that case old instance will not be available so automatically ur DB is now 2008 .Just change the compatibility.And your Database capacity will be more than 10GB

If you did side by side upgrade you manually have to restore /attach dettach..in that case also ur DB can support size greater than 10 G

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, July 12, 2013 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:26 AM
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:59 PM

All replies

• >>>>If I upgrade SQL version to SQL 2008 R2, without uninstalling, my db is automaticcaly extended to 10Gb size limit?

Have not done this personally but it looks like YES.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Make sure that the compatibility level (100) of the database is set correctly after the upgrade.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4589a08a-dddd-48f4-b429-178995223206/sql-express-2008-r2-4gb-database-limit

Thanks & Regards RAJUKIRAN L Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:36 PM

Hi,

did u do inplace upgrade in that case old instance will not be available so automatically ur DB is now 2008 .Just change the compatibility.And your Database capacity will be more than 10GB

If you did side by side upgrade you manually have to restore /attach dettach..in that case also ur DB can support size greater than 10 G

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, July 12, 2013 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:26 AM
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:59 PM