MPR Test Tool 4.1: Unable to connect to Server 2012 Core box to upload tests RRS feed

• Question

• I completed and passed the Server Core 2012 test of my application.  I have MPR 4.1 installed on it and a regular Server 2012 box in a non-domain test environment.  I am using the full UI server to generate the upload package for certification.  When I try to connect to the remote core computer, it connects, but it doesn't show any tests.  I have the same admin account and password on both boxes.  I shared out the Users folder, as per guideliness I found that talked about how to enable "public folder sharing" on Server Core (maybe this was wrong, I don't know).  I have opened the firewall for file sharing.  I have remote administration enabled.

I tried contacting the MPR team email support address, but have received no response after a week.  Anybody have any guidance?

=============================================================================================================================================================
    Created by Microsoft Platform Ready Test Tool

Tool version:4.1.0.0 | Report date:  06/24/2013 08:12:19
    =============================================================================================================================================================

Test Result
    Microsoft Platform Ready
    Product Name: Windows Server 2012
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test Name: ***** on Server Core 2012
    Test Result: Pass

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• I did get a reply from the MPR support team.  Here is what they said to try.

You have hit a common scenario which, for some can be frustrating, though an area outside the control of the tool.

At this point it is a matter of your network security policies and permissions. 

Here are some suggestions which have helped others. You have already tried a few of these:

Workarounds:
    • Assure that both test and remote computer are using same version of tool, in this case v4.1
    • That you are using HostName and not NetBIOS name, if different
    • Check Firewall and Group Policies preventing this connection (seems you have connection as you can see tests from Explorer)

Other items which have helped others:
    • Limit Server Core machine name to 13 characters
    • Use same accounts on both machines
    • Join both machines to your corp domain
    • Run MPR Tool from the Hyper-V Server Host
    • Open File and Print Sharing from your Firewall on Server Core
    • Assure there are no language differences in scripts you are using on the Server Core VM. For instance:

Net Share Users=C:\Users /GRANT:Everyone,FULL /Unlimited /Cache:Manual

In our case, the problem was that the server names were longer than 13 characters.  I changed it to a shorter name, then I had to re-run the tests again (sigh) but after that, I was able to connect to the remote results for the new tests.

• Marked as answer by XSInc Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi, Did you resolve this issue as I have the same problem. The share is valid and it looks to be ok from the audit logs?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:47 AM
  • I did get a reply from the MPR support team.  Here is what they said to try.

You have hit a common scenario which, for some can be frustrating, though an area outside the control of the tool.

At this point it is a matter of your network security policies and permissions. 

Here are some suggestions which have helped others. You have already tried a few of these:

Workarounds:
    • Assure that both test and remote computer are using same version of tool, in this case v4.1
    • That you are using HostName and not NetBIOS name, if different
    • Check Firewall and Group Policies preventing this connection (seems you have connection as you can see tests from Explorer)

• Limit Server Core machine name to 13 characters
    • Use same accounts on both machines
    • Join both machines to your corp domain
    • Run MPR Tool from the Hyper-V Server Host
    • Open File and Print Sharing from your Firewall on Server Core
    • Assure there are no language differences in scripts you are using on the Server Core VM. For instance:

Net Share Users=C:\Users /GRANT:Everyone,FULL /Unlimited /Cache:Manual

In our case, the problem was that the server names were longer than 13 characters.  I changed it to a shorter name, then I had to re-run the tests again (sigh) but after that, I was able to connect to the remote results for the new tests.

• Marked as answer by XSInc Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:23 PM
  • I did have one machine that had a name longer than 13 characters and I changed it.  However, I still can't access the reports on a different machine.  We are not using domains for this testing.  I followed everything below, with the exception of Using HotName and not NetBios (because I don't know how to do this).

Workarounds:
    • Assure that both test and remote computer are using same version of tool, in this case v4.1 - Done
    • That you are using HostName and not NetBIOS name, if different - Unknown
    • Check Firewall and Group Policies preventing this connection (seems you have connection as you can see tests from Explorer) - Opened up everything I can find

• Limit Server Core machine name to 13 characters - done
    • Use same accounts on both machines - done
    • Join both machines to your corp domain - not using domains
    • Run MPR Tool from the Hyper-V Server Host - done
    • Open File and Print Sharing from your Firewall on Server Core - done

Net Share Users=C:\Users /GRANT:Everyone,FULL /Unlimited /Cache:Manual (ran this script but it is giving me a syntax error in Powershell...used copy and paste and cannot see anything wrong with the command.  Using DOS Prompt gives me access denied message)

Is there anything else I can try?  This is getting frustrating!  I can see the shared drive using File Explorer, but the app doesn't show any reports.  I even opened up the firewall...nothing.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Contact the MPR support team.  It takes them a while to reply, but they are helpful.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Do you know how to contact them?  I've been trying to find a link somewhere but don't see one.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:12 PM
  • They have a support email address, which is mprsupport@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hi, had the same kind of issues. Fixed by doing 

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”File and Printer Sharing” new enable=Yes (in PowerShell)

and

Net Share Users=C:\Users /GRANT:Everyone,FULL /Unlimited /Cache:Manual (in CMD!!!! in PowerShell didn't work)

BTW, my computer name is more than 13 characerts, it's not in the domain and even not in DNS and everything works

• Proposed as answer by Marc Quintal Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by XSInc Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:19 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:21 AM