One machine on LAN networking super slow...? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

We have a 7 system LAN in our office, and the boxes are a mix of Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Pro.

The systems network on Cat5 through a switch and router. None of the systems are on wireless though it is available in the office.

I just noticed that the data transfer rate of System X (Win 7) sending large files to System Z (Win 10) is incredibly slow. The transfer rate is about 10 mb/sec.

But sending the same sort of large files from System Y(Win 10) to System Z(Win 10) the transfer rate is about 70 mb/s.

Surprisingly, (at least to me...) the data transfer speeds of Systems X and Y are equal to each other when they are connecting to the Internet. The seven fold difference in speed happens only on our LAN.

I am already aware of (what feel like) a few thousand potential causes of the low data transfer speed of System X, but I would prefer to avoid a random path in my efforts to diagnose, and then correct the situation.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions about how best to approach this in a way that might lead to success.

Many thanks,

Lothar

Sunday, February 7, 2016 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Lothar Krepke,

"I just copied a large file from Disk 1 to Disk 2 and noticed that the transfer rate was 77 mb/s" "No switch, no cable, no router..., but same problem".

Based on this information, I think this issue is related to the disk rate not the network. We could run "chkdsk" to check the health of the hard drive.

As far as I know, there are some third party software could be used to test the disk rate. We could have a try.

If it is possible, please replace the hard drive on the problematic machine to have a test.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Lothar Krepke,

"I would appreciate any suggestions about how best to approach this in a way that might lead to success."
    Since the issue occurred with different situations, we could try to capture the network packages and compare the differences to capture the culprit.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hello, and thanks, but...

I am not knowledgeable enough to move forward with your suggestion.

Could you provide me some more detail about how to proceed?

Thanks again,

Lothar

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Hello again,

I have just replaced the NIC, and its cable, on the problem machine, but that did not increase the data transfer speed of the machine at all.

The data transfer rate of the slow machine is still about 10 mb/s while the other systems in our office transfer data at about 70 mb/s.

In addition to replacing the NIC and cable, I tried the data transfer tests using the Windows Copy function instead of using the imaging software that is on all of our machines. In my first test runs, I had used the imaging software. I also tried plugging the new NIC cable into a few different ports on our switch.

So, it would seem that it's not the NIC or cable, or the software, or the switch port...

What should I try next, (or is it now time for me to get the huge mallet I have in my shop?)

Sincere thanks for any further help on this,

Lothar

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Hello,

The "slow on the LAN" system is now running Win 10, rather than Win 7...

I have tested everything I can think of, but still, the data transfer rate of that machine is always approximately 15% the rate of the other machines in our office when files are sent to the same destination system.

Based on the steps I have described above, do you see any appropriate next step?

Many thanks,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:51 PM
  • So you have maybe eliminated the NIC and the OS, right?

So I'd make sure BIOS is updated just in case.

Then try PC using diferent network cable and port.  Swap it into a place where another PC has been running fine.  This will just about eliminate network issues as the culprit.  This happened to me before and I traced the issue to a Cisco phone we were using as a passtrough hub for a PCs network connection.

After that, ditch the PC.  It isn't worth spending hours troubleshooting if you have a spare.  Or live with it.  After all, how often are you doing PC to PC transfers? 

• Edited by ctircuit Friday, February 12, 2016 7:36 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 7:34 PM
  • Windows 7 SMB V2, Windows 10 SMB V3. 

Do you see this on only 1 machine in the office?

All windows 7 Machines?

I would check and make sure SMBv2 isn't disabled on the machine giving you trouble. Microsoft Support

Friday, February 12, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Hello,

I've eliminated the NIC, and the OS...

I just checked and there was an update to the BIOS available, and I installed it, but that made no difference.

I've tested with three different cables, and have used many different available ports. Transfer rates have not changed.

I just tried putting the slow machine cable into a port that I have been using for a machine that had been transfering data at over 100 mb/s, but using that port, the slow machine still transfers data at less than 20 mb/s. (And, by the way, the "fast" machine keeps the high speed while plugged into the port that had been used by the slow problem system.

And finally I do this particular transfer many times each day. That's because the "slow transfer" box happens to hold all of our business data, and we periodically send images of the system over to another building.

I really appreciate your thoughts, and would welcome any further ideas,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:58 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, these data transfer problems occur only on one of our seven systems. Other systems in our office transfer data to a particular remote machine at the rate of about 100 mb/s. One of the machines does the same transfer, to the same destination machine, but the rate of transfer never gets above about 18 mb/s.

When I first noticed the data transfer speed problem, the problem machine was running Win 7. After getting nowhere trying to speed it up, I switched to Win 10. That change made no difference in transfer speed.

Many thanks for any further thoughts,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Did you check if the machine was running SMBV1?
    Friday, February 12, 2016 10:04 PM
  • 'Sorry I did not mention that...

When I view the registry key, the DWORD value for the Key SMB2 is 0. (and that's all I know about SMB).

Thanks, as before,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 10:14 PM
  • Try this in an elevated prompt.

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB2 -Type DWORD -Value 1 -Force

After both commands, restart the machine, try the transfer again.

Server Message Block (SMB)

• Edited by The Grim Friday, February 12, 2016 10:26 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Hello,

I understand what #3 is about, but would you please provide some information about what these would be doing?

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend=bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start=auto 

Sincere thanks,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

I understand #3, but could you please tell me what the sc.exe commands would be doing?

Many thanks,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:13 PM
  • Hi again,

I just stumbled onto something I find interesting...

Most of our systems have two hard drives.

On our problem machine, I just copied a large file from Disk 1 to Disk 2 and noticed that the transfer rate was 77 mb/s.

Then, I went over to another Win 10 machine that does not have the transfer problem, and did the same thing, that is, I copied a similar large file from its Disk 1 to its Disk 2. Those data transferred at a rate of over 800 mb/s.

No switch, no cable, no router..., but same problem.

Thanks, as before,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Hello again,

I just ran the three commands that were suggested... All three displayed "success."

I rebooted, and tried the file transfer. As before, the rate was about 20 mb/s rather than the much higher transfer speed of our other machines.

Any other ideas would be most welcome.

Many thanks, as before,

Lothar

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:58 PM
  • Hello,

I just looked at the Registries of two of our machines that have the fast data transfer.

Neither of those machines have any SMB Key...

Thanks again,

Lothar

Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Hi Lothar Krepke,

"I just copied a large file from Disk 1 to Disk 2 and noticed that the transfer rate was 77 mb/s" "No switch, no cable, no router..., but same problem".

Based on this information, I think this issue is related to the disk rate not the network. We could run "chkdsk" to check the health of the hard drive.

As far as I know, there are some third party software could be used to test the disk rate. We could have a try.

If it is possible, please replace the hard drive on the problematic machine to have a test.

Best regards

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:08 AM