none
Using MDT environment variables in final Deployment Summay screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like a function written in vbscript to open a messagebox asking the user to move the newly created Active Directory computer object into a different OU, but, NOT BEFORE deployment is complete and summary window shows a white screen with a message of a successfully finished deployment.

But I realized that oEnvironment variables are not available anymore at this time, which leads me to the question on how to get access to These variables at this point, without leaving afterwards any sensible data (variable informations) on the machine after deployment cleanup has already been done by MDT.

Any suggestions on that?

(My plan was to modify to execute the above AD operations when clicking on the "Finish" - but I do not get the method that is called when clicking "Finish". Summary_Definition_ENU.xml shows a function called "ButtonNextClick" when clicking "Finish" button, but the only linked source file is Summary_scripts.vbs which doesn't contain such a method. So I choosed "InitializeSummary" from "Summary_scripts.vbs" to get my function called at all. Any ideas here are also highly appreciated!)

Regards

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Any special reason you don't/cant ask before the image begins and move them during the imaging process like most folks?

Jack

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 5:18 PM
  • Certain GPOs are applied during deployment and only when deployment is successfully finished some other GPOs shall be applied immediately. That's why the computer object shall only be moved to this certain OU (and being applied with those new policies) only if deployment was successfully finished.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:37 PM
  • This is not exactly what you are asking for BUT I think there is enough information here that moves in the direction you want:  http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/427/Final-Configuration-for-MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-now-with-Autologon-support

• Marked as answer by finiusWI Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:29 AM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:12 PM
  • We have a similar setup with the staging OU, and we take a different approach. Not sure it would work for you, but just something to consider.

We have a PowerShell script gets all of the computer objects in our staging OU and then emails the tech who imaged the machine. We use an AD attribute that says who created the object, and then from there we send an email, since the email address is just <username>@<company>

We run this script once per day to bug people to move the machine.

And we also have a GPO in the staging OU that changes the login wallpaper. This wallpaper has a message on it that says something like "you are in the build OU, move this machine."

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:27 PM
  • nice Approach - I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:29 AM
  • I was also thinking about this kind of "reminder", but came to the conclusion that i need a more "immediate" object change. BUt, anyway, thanks for your contribution.
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:32 AM