none
A quick hint on how I'm supposed to use MDT 2013 for Windows 8.1 deployment. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I asked a question earlier on technet but I believe I was in the wrong sub-forum.   I have a need to deploy fully updated Windows 8.1 images to customer's PCs.   In Windows 7, I'd just startup a virtual machine, start installing 7, boot into Audit Mode, update the machine through Windows Update, sysprep the machine, capture the image, replacing install.wim on the 7 installation medium with my captured image and when I'd install 7 on a machine, it'd be fully updated.   I'd create an answer file to do various things, like partition the drives, etc.

It seems with 8 and 8.1 though, things have changed a good bit.   I tried what I used to do with 7, but when I replaced the Windows 8.1 install.esd file with my custom captured install.swm and install2.swm file, Windows setup wouldn't accept the product key.

Someone suggested I use the MDT 2013.   Could someone please give me a rough idea of how I'm supposed to create a master and reference image to deploy Windows 8.1?   I will probably be deploying 8.1 via a thumb drive, although I'm okay with a network deployment.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Spork Schivago

Saturday, April 30, 2016 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi

Use this guide to create a ref image of Windows 8.1 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744290.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

Use this guide to create a ref image of Windows 8.1 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn744290.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Thank you Per Larsen.

I currently only have a legal copy of Windows Server 2008.   Is Windows Server 2012 R2 actually required?  Although I own Server 2008, I've never installed it or used it before.   I downloaded a VHD image of Windows Server 2012 (R2 I think).   If Windows Server 2012 R2 isn't actually required, would you recommend I purchase it?   I've seen a few copies on e-Bay for sale.   Some say they come with an SQL Server.   Some say they include CAL 5 license.

From what I've read, CAL is the number of users that are allowed to connect to the server at one time.   Because I usually only work on 3-4 PCs / laptops at a time (they're mostly Vista or 7 machines), if I understand everything correctly, a CAL 5 one should be fine.   If I'm misunderstanding something, please correct me.

I don't really understand the Hyper-V part in the article you linked me too.  I'm currently using Oracle VirtualBox for my sysprepping needs (with Windows 7).

A quick google search shows me:
    The Hyper-V role enables you to create and manage a virtualized computing environment by using virtualization technology that is built in to Windows Server 2012 R2.

Is Hyper-V a virtual machine program that comes with Windows Server 2012 R2?   Or does Windows Server 2012 R2 somehow interact with a virtual machine on another physical computer?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.   I'm sure some of these are very basic for someone who knows what they're doing and I appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to try and help me.

Spork Schivago

Sunday, May 1, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Hi

You can use server 2008 - there is not a requirement for 2012.

You can continue to use your virtual box instead of hyper-v - that is not a problem.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Sunday, May 1, 2016 6:01 AM
  • You can kind of count on Microsoft using their stuff in a guide for their stuff ;)

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:30 AM
  • You can kind of count on Microsoft using their stuff in a guide for their stuff ;)

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

LOL!   Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I understood everything.    It's all new to me, doing it this way.   I'm glad you guys are here to help when I have questions like this though!    I'm currently working on a customer's machine and once I'm done with that (it make take a couple more days), I'm going to work on setting up the server and working on creating an 8 image.   Thanks for all the help guys!

Spork Schivago

Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Let us know how it goes.

Monday, May 2, 2016 12:18 AM