How to change domain controller name that exchange sees RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I am wanting to remove one of the domain controllers that exchange sees and add the newer one to replace it.  The domain controller I want to relplace is no longer in place, and shows up nowhere except in the 2010 Exchange Hub Transport system Settings.  This would seem like it should be an easy thing, but I havent seen how to do it. 
    Any help is appreciated

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• You can also use the reverse -StaticExcludedDomainControllers if you just want to exclude your bad one.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by rbeamer Friday, April 13, 2012 4:30 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

run the following command to see if you have set this DC as static DC

To see the current settings, run Get-ExchangeServer –Identity <server_name> -Status | FL. By default StaticDomainControllers and StaticGlobalCatalog will be blank.

if you have a static entry, you might want to replace it with your new DC name, run following

To set new settings run:

• Set-ExchangeServer -Identity <server_name> -StaticDomainControllers DC-01.dc.local,DC-02.dc.local to set the StaticDomainControllers
    • Set-ExchangeServer -Identity <server_name> -StaticGlobalCatalogs DC-01.dc.local,DC-02.dc.local to set the StaticGlobalCatalogs

• Proposed as answer by Hasnain Shaikh Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi:

I know it is a static entry, but will this set this as the default DC?  We have 5 locqations with 5 domain controllers.  I do need to add the new one, but I also need to remove the old one which is really just a phantom entry as it shows up no place else but in the list of exchange  DC's.  The exchange server is 2010, running on Win08R2, and the domain controller i need to ad is running Win 03.  I have taken the liberty of making it a glocal catalog.  

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Hello,

Can you get me the output of following?

Get-ExchangeServer –Identity <server_name> -Status | FL

thanks

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Hi rbeamer,

Please try to delete the File C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\Exchange Management Console first.

If the issue still appears, please do:

1, Server Configuration->Modify Configuration Domain Controller->Specify a domain controller to point to new DC.

2, run the cmdlet Set-ExchangeServer -staticdomaincontrollers  -staticglobalcatalogs -staticconfigurationdomaincontroller

to point to the new DC.

3, Restart the Exchange server. If it works, you can change it back:

set-exchangeserver -staticdomaincontrollers $null -staticglobalcatalogs $null -staticconfigurationdomaincontroller $null

Set-ExchangeServer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123716.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Gorokhovsky Monday, July 6, 2015 2:05 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 7:38 AM
  • You can also use the reverse -StaticExcludedDomainControllers if you just want to exclude your bad one.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by rbeamer Friday, April 13, 2012 4:30 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 2:27 PM
  • That worked easiest.

Thanks

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:30 PM