none
Internet Explorer 11 Constantly Hangs in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 10 build 1511 and use IE11 as my default browser. I find that many websites I visit - nearly 25% - cause the browser to hang. When this happens, a message will appear at the bottom of the browser stating "sitename has stopped responding" with a recover webpage button, and the browser becomes completely unresponsive, forcing me to have to crash it. If I relaunch IE and go to the same site, the issue happens again.

I have made sure I have all the latest Windows updates installed, I have run IE with add-ons disabled, I've reset advanced settings, normal settings, and security zone settings.  I've looked at windows Event Viewer and there are no errors in the application or system log when the hang occurs.

I have run the troubleshooting tool in the control panel with IE performance selected.  Nothing has helped.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

can you please supply some example web addresses with your questions? this enables us to visit those sites to look for possible causes...

at a guess, try Tools>ActiveX Filtering and Tools>Tracking protection to toggle your browser settings for filtering and tracking protection...

You can view a listing of errors and warnings and block content uri's on the Console tab of Dev tools (f12).

(When ActiveX filtering or Tracking Protection is enabled for a domain you will see a blue circle icon (with a line through it) on the rhs of the IE address bar..... click the icon to adjust your content blocking settings for that domain.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Hi Ken,

According to the operations what you have done, there is no doubt that you are an experienced IT engineer.

In my opinion, we could also try use Compatibility View to browse those websites to see what will happen, maybe some website have compatibility issue on IE 11.

Meanwhile, add those websites into Trusted Sites and open them again.

From our experience, Application hang has the event with IE 1002. If you see some information is linked to this code, please check the details of it.

Besides, if above method still doesn’t work, please try use IE in a Clean Boot mode, eliminate some third-party software’s interference. We can also use DISM or SFC to scan the system for IE components repairing.

Finally, have you use other browser to open those websites, what’s result. There is a possibility that virus affected IE browser, perform a full scan in the safe mode by Windows Defender or your own security software.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:27 AM
  • Thanks for the tips.  Here is a few URLs that cause the browser to become unresponsive:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/otherprograms/slipstreamo2k10sp.htm

http://9to5mac.com

I toggled tracking protection and activex filtering but neither had any impact.  I've also run the browser in clean mode (add-ons disabled) but that also did not resolve the issue. 

I used dev tools with 9to5mac.com, but the only messages are 5 warnings about unmatched end tags (HTML509).  On the howto-outlook.com site, I got 1 info message (HTML1300 navigation occurred) and one warning (HTML1512 unmatched end tag). 

In all of these cases, the browser becomes unresponsive about 2 seconds after landing on the page, and I have to force it to close.

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:19 PM
  • I used dev tools with 9to5mac.com, but the only messages are 5 warnings about unmatched end tags (HTML509).

I got an SEC711I HTTPS security is compromised by https://googleads...

Otherwise, the site was slow occasionally but not totally unresponsive.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:44 AM