Loss of connectivity when opening windows live mail. RRS feed

• Question

• Have a strange issue that I cant figure out. The workstation in question is able to access the internet, browse with various browsers i.e, firefox, chrome, use windows messenger and download/upload files without issue. It is also able to see shared files on the network and use shared printers. The problem is with windows live mail. The moment the program attempts to access the internet to sync with hotmail.com it causes the pc to lose connectivity.  An exclamation point appears over the network icon and the message no internet access apears. This only happens when windows live attempts to download messages. The problem is resolved by resetting the adapter. I am able to duplicate the error everytime.

Error given by windows mail: Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80072EFE

Software:
    OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
    IE 8
    Windows Live Mail (latest download)

Hardware:
    CPU - Core2Duo 2.4ghz
    Mem - 3gigs ddr2 ram
    Storage - 1 Terabyte Seagate Barracuda

System has all latest updates and it virus/spyware free. Windows Firewall is configured to allow Windows Mail internet access. Any ideas?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you access Windows live mail via website without lossing connectivity?

http://mail.live.com/?rru=inbox

When did this issue first occur? If recently, system restore should be under consideration. 

According to the error code, I suggest try the following steps to reset the proxy settings.
    ========================
    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options".
    3. Click the "Connections" tab, click "LAN Settings", and then click "Advance".
    4. Delete any entry in the "Exceptions" section.
    5. Quit Internet Explorer.

6. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" (without quotations), and then click "OK".
    7. Type the following commands. Press "Enter" after each command.

Proxycfg -u
    Proxycfg -d
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv

Also renaming the host file:

1. Click "Start", type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without the quotations) and then press "Enter".

2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose "Rename".

3. Rename the file to "hostsold" (without quotations).

4. Then, clear the "DNS" (Domain Name Resolution) cache:

1). Click "Start", type "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2). In the open window, type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

Note: The Hosts file will be generated automatically after removal.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Hi Aratech,

You can also try the suggestions in this knowledge base (KB) article to check the result: You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

If the issue persists, please contact Windows Live Mail Support directly by going to HERE.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 11, 2010 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you access Windows live mail via website without lossing connectivity?

http://mail.live.com/?rru=inbox

When did this issue first occur? If recently, system restore should be under consideration. 

According to the error code, I suggest try the following steps to reset the proxy settings.
    ========================
    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options".
    3. Click the "Connections" tab, click "LAN Settings", and then click "Advance".
    4. Delete any entry in the "Exceptions" section.
    5. Quit Internet Explorer.

6. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" (without quotations), and then click "OK".
    7. Type the following commands. Press "Enter" after each command.

Proxycfg -u
    Proxycfg -d
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv

Also renaming the host file:

1. Click "Start", type "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (without the quotations) and then press "Enter".

2. Right-click on the file "Hosts" (without quotations) and choose "Rename".

3. Rename the file to "hostsold" (without quotations).

4. Then, clear the "DNS" (Domain Name Resolution) cache:

1). Click "Start", type "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2). In the open window, type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

Note: The Hosts file will be generated automatically after removal.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Hi Aratech,

You can also try the suggestions in this knowledge base (KB) article to check the result: You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

If the issue persists, please contact Windows Live Mail Support directly by going to HERE.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 11, 2010 7:24 AM
  • I have this same issue.  When logging into hotmail my connection to the internet drops.  It is perfectly fine at all other times and is somehow related to logging into hotmail.  I get a pop-up to reconnect.  I'm using Windows XP SP3.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:41 PM