none
Project Server 2013 Timesheet or task moves remaining work RRS feed

• Question

• Dear PS users,

Is there a way to make PS automatically, without manual Project Manager's moving of tasks, move remaining work to next week.

For example I have 8h of actual work on monday and 8 hours remaining on Tuesday, for week 1.
    Now if i enter 0h of actual work for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and click on send timesheet or send progress for selected task (depending on whether I am using timesheets or tasks panel), is there a way for project to write down 0 AW for these days and move 8h of remaining work on Monday Week2.
    I know this is something PM should do but it would be a good indicator to have this remaining work for the next week.
    Maybe this could be done with the calculate project option?

With best regards,
    Petar 

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 4:24 PM

Answers

• Petar --

That is no what you asked about in your original question.  When I used the Timesheet page to simulate the conditions you described in your original question, then no, there is no way to force Project Server to automatically reschedule uncompleted work from last week into the next reporting period.

In your follow up comment, yes, I can confirm the behavior you are seeing when the 0h of progress is entered on each day in the Tasks page.  In addition, I can confirm you will see the same behavior when 0h is entered each day on the Timesheet page.

What you are dealing with is two entirely different situations.  One situation is for a task that has some Actual Work entered earlier in the week, with 0h of Actual Work entered on every following day of that week.  The other situation is when a user enters 0h of Actual Work every day of the week on a task where they did no work.

I will forewarn you that most team members WILL NOT go to the bother of manually entering 0h of Actual Work for every day when they did no work on a task.  They will enter Actual Work only on the tasks on which they worked on a task, and nothing more.  If I were a team member, that is certainly what I would do.  And if team members only enter progress on tasks on which they worked, and do not enter 0h on days where they did not Actual Work on the task, then my answer to your original question stands; the software will not automatically reschedule uncompleted work from the past into the current reporting period.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by PetarB Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:01 PM

All replies

• PetarB -

As you described in your question, no, there is no way to force Project Server to automatically reschedule uncompleted work from last week into the next reporting period.  This is a manual process that your PMs must do every week as a part of their task approval and project updating process.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Actually, 

When you open tasks panel and for example enter 0h of actual work on every day, and you had 8h of planned work on Tuesday, it will move that work to Monday next week.

Sincerely,
    Petar
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Petar --

That is no what you asked about in your original question.  When I used the Timesheet page to simulate the conditions you described in your original question, then no, there is no way to force Project Server to automatically reschedule uncompleted work from last week into the next reporting period.

In your follow up comment, yes, I can confirm the behavior you are seeing when the 0h of progress is entered on each day in the Tasks page.  In addition, I can confirm you will see the same behavior when 0h is entered each day on the Timesheet page.

What you are dealing with is two entirely different situations.  One situation is for a task that has some Actual Work entered earlier in the week, with 0h of Actual Work entered on every following day of that week.  The other situation is when a user enters 0h of Actual Work every day of the week on a task where they did no work.

I will forewarn you that most team members WILL NOT go to the bother of manually entering 0h of Actual Work for every day when they did no work on a task.  They will enter Actual Work only on the tasks on which they worked on a task, and nothing more.  If I were a team member, that is certainly what I would do.  And if team members only enter progress on tasks on which they worked, and do not enter 0h on days where they did not Actual Work on the task, then my answer to your original question stands; the software will not automatically reschedule uncompleted work from the past into the current reporting period.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by PetarB Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Hello Dale,

Thank you for your response. 
    I think we will try to automate this entry if it is possible. 

With best regards,
    Petar
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:25 AM