URGENT; vista down! RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden Vista is not booting up past the logo screen (with the green animated progress bar). Actually, it goes into blank screen mode after 1-2 minutes and nothing happens ever after that.

Worst yet, even the Vista Ultimate CD (which I used originally to install, twice before) is NOT loading past the same screen (logo)!  it first goes through the 'loading windows files...' then boots to the logo screen and nothing happens for several minutes!

I also tried booting in safe mode, it goes through the scrolling of loading files and always gets stuck on crcdisk.sys file

Originally before all this I simply booted (not installed) from Ubuntu CD to test it out. I attempted to install and was stuck on step 5/6 where it asks for partition. I made it 40GB (120GB total drive) and nothing was happening, I successfully canceled and then all broke loose after that.

What should I do? I'm really stuck, can't boot of Vista CD nor drive. I have critical data on my hard drive.

Vista RTM Ultimate
    SONY VGN-FE-770G

dxdiag info

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: VGN-FE770G
    BIOS: Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 1181MB used, 3114MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
    Friday, January 26, 2007 7:53 AM

Answers

• Try to perform a repair via Vista DVD, that should work.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:30 PM

All replies

• I've been working with folks at ubuntu forums, please see this and help
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346780

Looks like vista's drm is making it impossible for me to get anything.

I need to copy stuff over to my usb drive but it won't give me access

This is a laptop so I cannot use the drive elsewhere
    Friday, January 26, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Try to perform a repair via Vista DVD, that should work.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:30 PM
  • How humorous. Let's see what I made clear in my first post

"Worst yet, even the Vista Ultimate CD (which I used originally to install, twice before) is NOT loading past the same screen (logo)!  it first goes through the 'loading windows files...' then boots to the logo screen and nothing happens for several minutes!"        
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem. After playing with my partitions with gParted (Linux based partition manager) I cannot get the Vista install or repair to start. When it has finished loading, the screen goes black and nothing more happens.

I discovered that it i possible to boot the Install DVD into safe mode and the stop occurs when loading disk.sys.

I'll make som experiments with other partitioning softwares to see if that changes the behaiviour..

Regards

Jonas

Friday, February 2, 2007 12:56 PM