Skype for Business - Online and On premises RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We are moving to Office 365 E3 plan in which we will get Skype for Business too, and we have around 350 users in org. and have a plan to move UC to Skype for Business. Currently using Alcatel Omnipcx which is not user friendly, having limited functionality and also expensive. Can any expert put the light on my few questions:

1) what is the difference b/w Skype4Business online and onpremises

2) for 350 users, and using Office 365 which one of above is perfect for us?

3) External calls especially international, how cost-effective is Skype for Business?

4) does Skype for Business has VDO conferencing capability

5) Share technical doc. link

Thanks in advance

Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:50 PM

Answers

• 1) Mostly that on-premises is a mature telephony platform where online is just getting it's telephony start. On-premises also has persistent chat.  There are other considerations too, but the telephony aspect is perhaps the largest difference.

2) Either is fine really.  If you're not using telephony and already have the E3 plan I would go right to Online.  If you're using telephony I would stick to on-premises for now and go hybrid online while considering a full move in a year or two.  If you're planning to use it for room based video conferencing, another consideration is that the media will go where the server is.  So on premises conference media will stay on your WAN, cloud will leave and come back over the Internet.

3) For 350 users it can get pricey online with the options right now.  International plans are 24$ US per user, which multiplied by 350 is a whole lot vs a local trunk.  You also have to option of keeping PSTN connectivity on premises with users in the cloud, but I'd suggest keeping it all on premises if that's the decision.  However, consumption billing is coming which will help I'm sure.

4) Yes, very much so.  Room based, web based, all the way down to a laptop.  Check out the Surface Hub and Skype Room Systems.

5) What are you looking for in a doc and I'll share it.  There are a billion out there  :)

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Eric_YangK Sunday, February 7, 2016 10:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eric_YangK Friday, February 12, 2016 1:57 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:03 PM
  • HI,

CH) has a great powerpoint to your question:

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ3ZqbncLKAhXJjCwKHRhWAbkQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.ch9.ms%2Fsessions%2Fignite%2F2015%2Fdecks%2FBRK2200_Sanders.pptx&usg=AFQjCNFgg1Tl0g9i4B05_xOAz9tTlfck5g&sig2=Ge8fu4LrtNbzysTaKSL6Uw

Regarding Telephony you can read more here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455212.aspx

As mentioned earlier, only US has PBX in SFB Online. You can have SFB On-prem in Hybrid mode and use PBX from On prem server while users are online. This it not sure that your audio quality will still be good. You have to check with your provider if they have any experience with it and ask them for a "try/test period".

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Sunday, January 24, 2016 10:29 AM

All replies

• 1) Mostly that on-premises is a mature telephony platform where online is just getting it's telephony start. On-premises also has persistent chat.  There are other considerations too, but the telephony aspect is perhaps the largest difference.

2) Either is fine really.  If you're not using telephony and already have the E3 plan I would go right to Online.  If you're using telephony I would stick to on-premises for now and go hybrid online while considering a full move in a year or two.  If you're planning to use it for room based video conferencing, another consideration is that the media will go where the server is.  So on premises conference media will stay on your WAN, cloud will leave and come back over the Internet.

3) For 350 users it can get pricey online with the options right now.  International plans are 24$ US per user, which multiplied by 350 is a whole lot vs a local trunk.  You also have to option of keeping PSTN connectivity on premises with users in the cloud, but I'd suggest keeping it all on premises if that's the decision.  However, consumption billing is coming which will help I'm sure.

4) Yes, very much so.  Room based, web based, all the way down to a laptop.  Check out the Surface Hub and Skype Room Systems.

5) What are you looking for in a doc and I'll share it.  There are a billion out there  :)

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Hi techtiger,

Please take a look at the following article, and then decide which type of deployment would be best for you.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204979%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:38 AM
  • hi Eric,

I think this article is old

Friday, January 22, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

Great info.

I have no plan to deploy on-premises rather I would go with Skype for business with E3 plan initially, and move my existing PBX to Cloud for telephony and will use comprehensive Skype for Business features..

is this viable approach?

Friday, January 22, 2016 1:40 PM
  • If you're in the US or a country which should receive it, then yes it's absolutely a viable approach.  You may need to wait until later this year for some of the features you may need to hit if the current feature set does not meet your needs however.

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:00 PM
  • I am in Oman and don't know whether it is available here or not.

Any link to know availability of service?

Thanks

Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:03 PM
  • PSTN calling is not, it's USA only at the moment until later this year. You can still use Skype Online but you'll need to purchase a local telephony trunk and have local servers and hardware to connect it to the cloud.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Sunday, January 24, 2016 2:08 AM
    Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:43 PM
  • HI,

CH) has a great powerpoint to your question:

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ3ZqbncLKAhXJjCwKHRhWAbkQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.ch9.ms%2Fsessions%2Fignite%2F2015%2Fdecks%2FBRK2200_Sanders.pptx&usg=AFQjCNFgg1Tl0g9i4B05_xOAz9tTlfck5g&sig2=Ge8fu4LrtNbzysTaKSL6Uw

Regarding Telephony you can read more here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455212.aspx

As mentioned earlier, only US has PBX in SFB Online. You can have SFB On-prem in Hybrid mode and use PBX from On prem server while users are online. This it not sure that your audio quality will still be good. You have to check with your provider if they have any experience with it and ask them for a "try/test period".

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Sunday, January 24, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi TechTiger, 

I saw you received some great answers below : have you thought about using CEC ( chat enabled collaboration)

MindLink Software is a Microsoft Gold Partner who is also offering support for Persistent Group Chat on mobile devices (iOS, Android and BlackBerry). Lync 2010 & 2013 and SfB are already supported.Have a look at

www.mindlinksoft.com,

MindLink is a highly secure messaging & collaboration platform for enterprises. Think of us as WhatsApp for business.  MindLink is fully mobile, secure & compliant with advanced integrations ( sharepoint, Salesforce, etc)  to provide users with fresh & relevant real time, persistent content .All while connecting to UC platforms such as Microsoft Lync & Skype for Business. MindLink Software is a Microsoft Gold Partner who is also offering support for Persistent Group Chat on mobile devices (iOS, Android and BlackBerry). Lync 2010 & 2013 and SfB are already supported.Have a look at www.mindlinksoft.com

Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:18 AM