Not getting NDR's when sending emails using "on behalf of" RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have two accounts on the exchange - A and B. i programmatically (from some .net code) send an email to a non-existent recipient on some remote mail server (e.g. gmail or hotmail), and specify either A or B as the sender. in both cases A, or B, correspondingly, gets an NDR. but when i send the same email "from A on behalf of B" (or the other way around), neither A nor B gets an NDR. can someone please explain why.

many thanks

Friday, May 6, 2011 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hi
       Do you try to send email to gmail non-existent recipient by your account not “on behalf of”
       As far as I know, when you send email using “on behalf of”, the email format is different.
       So firewall or mail server will set it as spam email and block it.
       Your server can’t get response from remote mail server and can’t generate NDR.
       It is just my thinking, not official document.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:26 AM
  • hi Terence,

Do you try to send email to gmail non-existent recipient by your account not “on behalf of”

yes, if i just send an email normally, i get an NDR.

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Hi
       1. Check your .net code. Does it send email using “on behalf of” correctly?
           Can you see the track log that the email has been snet.
       2. You can communicate with remote mail server admin and ask him to check the block email.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 2:23 AM
  • hi Terence,

yes the code works correctly, because when i send to an existing recipient, they do go get an email, which shows the sender as "A on behalf of B".

not sure whether i can get a hotmail or a gmail admins to give me such info. i guess i could try and send to my own mail server and try to track it...

cheers

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hi
      Do you have anything to update your issue ?
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • sorry, did not have time to look at this again. will try to find some time over the wwekend.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:14 AM