none
Import a HTML bookmarks export from Firefox into Edge browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We're rolling out Edge and need to automate the import of favorites from Firefox, into Edge. Firefox can automatically backup it's favs to a .html file , which is fine, but importing these in a zero-touch way for users is another beast entirely.

I'm a novice at powershell (learning everyday...) and have considered the following options, but could really use some guidance or ideas:

1. Use something like AutoIT module for powershell to automate the UI and use the inbuild Edge favs import (via browser settings) to do the job.

2. Using powershell to parse the .html document containing the favorites data, strip out the <a> tags for URLs and <h3> tags for folders and create 'internet shortcut' files (in the style that IE stores Favs) and then use a second script (which is available on Technet) to auto-import from IE to Edge.

3. some third party browser syncing plugin that we can configure to run-once on the machines when we issue them to staff.

4. I can't see any GPO's or 'first-run' style settings that can import the favorites.

Any ideas? I can't see any noise online about doing this at an enterprise-scale, and we only have a few weeks to deliver!

Thanks

Dave

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:24 AM

All replies

• Just import the HTML file. Edge uses the same HTML format.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Notice the favorites file is standard Netscape fiel:

<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
    <!-- This is an automatically generated file.
         It will be read and overwritten.
         DO NOT EDIT! -->
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    <TITLE>Bookmarks</TITLE>
    <H1>Bookmarks</H1>
    <DL><p>
        <DT><H3 ITEM_ID="{A62AF571-6A95-4BA2-8EDD-92A8BB9743F3}" LAST_MODIFIED="1519239486" >Favorites Bar</H3>
        <DL><p>
        </DL><p>
    </DL><p>

Most browsers use this format.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:58 AM
  • I don't understand what you mean by 'just import the HTML file' -  my intention is to automate this, so not have anyone clicking Settings > Import from File> bookmarks.html...I know that Edge can import the file. Automation being the key word... ;)
    • Edited by Baker_999 Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:42 AM
  • There is no automation for Edge.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:10 AM