locked
Exchange 2010 - MailBoxDatabaseCopyStatus question RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have a two server set up running in my test lab. Exchange 2010 on Server 2008.I have a DAG set up on the two machines.

    Both of these machines have been physically turned off for quite a while, probably about a year, and when they had been on before that that were largely ignored.

    I turned them on this morning to get them ready for some testing.  The servers booted up well and the databases mounted. I was even able to connect via OWA, though it took quite a while to log in and in fact it took very long for the servers to boot. 

    I ran   Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus - Server (Name) | fl Name,*Index* and got back the following results

    ContentIndexState : Failed
    ContentIndexErrorMessage: The timestamp of the catalog state is too old for database.

    I have three databases on this server cluster and all databases on both servers give the same message.

    My questions:

    1. What exactly is that ContentIndexrrorMessage telling me and why do I need to be concerned about it (I'm assuming I do)

    2. How can I fix this?

    3. Last, since these servers have been offline for quite some time, is there anything else I should do/check in particular? I have already run windows update on both servers.


    Thanks!
    Mike

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:36 PM

Answers

  • Hi Mike

    1) The search catalog is out of date due to the server being switched off.

    2) You should run this script from the \Scripts folder in your Exchange install location: ResetSearchIndex.ps1 and then reseed the catalogs to the other server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633475(v=exchg.141).aspx 

    3) Make sure your service packs and RUs are up to date.

    Cheers, Steve

    • Marked as answer by Nachtmsk Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:52 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:48 PM

All replies

  • Hi Mike

    1) The search catalog is out of date due to the server being switched off.

    2) You should run this script from the \Scripts folder in your Exchange install location: ResetSearchIndex.ps1 and then reseed the catalogs to the other server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633475(v=exchg.141).aspx 

    3) Make sure your service packs and RUs are up to date.

    Cheers, Steve

    • Marked as answer by Nachtmsk Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:52 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Hi Steve

    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I ran ResetSearchIndex script against my three databases and they all appear as Healthy now.

    I followed the link you provided and ran UPdate-MailboxDatabaseCopy "Databsename" -CatalogOnly  but I'm getting error messages. First question, do I run this against the active copy or the passive copy? When I tried running against the active copy I got the error "Database '' is active on server...

    When I tried running against the passive copy I got "Error Content Indexing Operation Failed. The seeding operation encountered an error while trying to contact the search service. Error: Microsoft Search Service may not be running" (it is though)

    Thanks again,
    Mike


    • Edited by Nachtmsk Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:11 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:09 PM
  • No problem.

    You run it against the passive copy and as you only have one active copy you don't have to specify the source server.  If you stop the Search Indexer service, delete the catalog and then start the service again.  It should rebuild automatically but you can try to run the Update command again.

    Steve

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Thank you again Steve.

    All is well now.
    Mike

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:52 PM
  • We ended up rebooting the server with the failed ContentIndex state which fixed it.
    Friday, February 7, 2020 4:41 AM