2nd SATA drive not recognized in WinXP Pro but BIOS & setup OK RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 with 3GB RAM running XpPro SP3. The OEM drive is a Seagate Barracuda 40GB SATA drive [C:\] on SATA1 that is now full. The machine is on a network that's been patched together over the years by various techs and I'm reluctant to completely replace the drive. The plan was to install a second Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA drive on SATA2, clone C: to the new drive, swap the ports and format the old 40GB for storage. SNAG > Bios and Setup "see" the 1TB drive and all settings/parameters appear to be correct but the drive does not appear in Windows in ANY location, menu, etc. I've tried several work arounds without success. Setup does not have a fast boot switch I can turn off for a longer look at hardware during the boot process. One tech says the motherboard is not communicating with it - embedded driver issue? Any suggestions?

James Falkner

Friday, January 3, 2014 3:37 PM

Answers

• Does your motherboard supports this configuration?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 2:17 PM
  • ... Any suggestions? ...

Hi,

About your plans... Have you cloned the image of the 40GB to 1TB hdd? Or you are just checking to see if the motherboard recognise the 1TB hdd?

Have you tried working on the BIOS setting?

• Set Drive 1 to ON

or

• Set SATA Operation to Combination?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:35 AM

All replies

• Does your motherboard supports this configuration?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 2:17 PM
  • ... Any suggestions? ...

Hi,

About your plans... Have you cloned the image of the 40GB to 1TB hdd? Or you are just checking to see if the motherboard recognise the 1TB hdd?

Have you tried working on the BIOS setting?

• Set Drive 1 to ON

or

• Set SATA Operation to Combination?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

As what Arnav suggests, the motherboard specification also plays an important role.

It looks like GX280 can only support up to 250GB hdd.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Specifications

P.S. Try partitioning the 1TB hdd to 250GB and set your image there.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

• Edited by Tas76 Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:45 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:41 AM