Outlook sometimes gets stuck at "Loading Profile" when it restarts RRS feed

• Question

• I have the long time issue where sometimes when I click on the Outlook icon on the taskbar (to get its focus) while Outlook is running, Outlook disappears (no GUI) with a ghost Outlook.exe left running in the task manager which I have to kill before I can restart Outlook. I restart Outlook and it starts fine. But once a while it starts and gets stuck at the 'Loading Profile' splash screen.
    The only workaround  is to restart the machine.

Searching the web, some people mentioned some Outlook files might be locked by the antivirus software or the Windows Search indexer is locking some files or some other software is doing this. While these may be some ideas, I am looking for a working action that enables Outlook to run instead of rebooting the system. I m running Windows 7.

Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It’s true that this issue normally means other software or add-ins is interacting with Outlook client.

>>Outlook disappears (no GUI) with a ghost Outlook.exe left running in the task manager which I have to kill before I can restart Outlook.

If we wait for a while, will Outlook finally close?

We can open Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, please also test this in a new profile in case some personal settings are corrupted. Please check the steps in this article.

In addition, what's the detailed version of Outlook? Please install available updates for both Office and Windows to see if it helps.

Any updates,

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:37 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Opening Outlook in safe mode also keeps stuck.

I don't understand your Outlook finally closes statement. You mean the ghost process? No it doesn't or I can't wait minutes. What's the difference between it gets closed on its own or I kill it myself?

It's Outlook 2013 (15.0.5163.1000)

It's a work machine and it gets updated through the company. It's version 2013 which means it went through lots of updates already.

It's a work machine so I can't create and play with profiles. If my profile is corrupted, it doesn't explain why it works several times and sometimes not. I expect it to work every time or not to work every time.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue occur randomly? It's normally hard to directly tell the root cause for a random issue.

If you cannot create a new profile, we can also repair local data files to see if it helps.

Besides, please open the Event Viewer and look at the Application Log for any error events that are registered by Outlook or happened at the time that you tried to open Outlook.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, September 9, 2019 8:46 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Any updates with this issue? Have you found a fix?

Regards,

Perry

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:46 AM
  • Hello Abdu,

Microsoft Outlook getting stuck on loading profile screen is quite common error. Even I have faced same issue multiple times. In such situations, I use to search through Google for a fine solution. I referred to this blog: 

https://www.systoolsgroup.com/updates/resolve-outlook-stuck-at-loading-profile-screen-error/

This will help you to understand more about the problem and to solve it. Hope this resolve your problem. 

Regards

Jen Russel

• Edited by jen_russel Monday, September 9, 2019 11:23 AM
    Monday, September 9, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Any updates with this issue? Have you found a fix?

Regards,

Perry

I will reply when it happens again. Thank you.
    Monday, September 9, 2019 4:12 PM

• I will reply when it happens again. Thank you.

No problem~

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:14 AM
  • Haven't heard from you for several days. Could I know how is everything going on with this issue?

If the issue doesn't come back, it's recommended to mark useful reply as answer to close off this thread.

Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:33 AM
  • It keeps happening. I resorted to rebooting the computer when it happens and to be more careful not to click on the Outlook when Outlook already has focus. The goal is not to make it happen.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Have you tried all steps above? Any errors in Event Viewer?

>> be more careful not to click on the Outlook when Outlook already has focus.

What do you mean by "Outlook already has focus"? When we click Outlook twice, it will stuck in the Loading Profile dialog?

I've seen some cases: users close Outlook and then immediately open Outlook again. Outlook will stuck at loading profile due to Outlook is not closing completely background.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, October 14, 2019 9:36 AM
  • @abdu What Outlook version are you using on Windows 7?

Try unplugging the LAN cable or disconnect from Wi-Fi & Disable Hardware Acceleration. Also, check if Windows is well updated and Run as admin to change compatibility mode (you can choose Windows 7 or previous version). If still problem persists, you can repair the Outlook data file by using ScanPST tool or advance repair by using the automated tool available.

Check if following links help you to deal with the issue:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/troubleshooting-steps-fix-outlook-2013-stuck-loading-profile-screen/

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/outlook-won-t-open-or-is-stuck-at-loading-profile-6d9590bb-3c0f-4caf-9599-d5cf6b5d3bd0

Monday, October 14, 2019 11:44 AM