none
Outlook web access slow to load RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have Exchange 2007 Outlook Web Access published via UAG 2010, and it works fine, performs well etc, except that initial startup takes about 90 seconds. The user clicks the "Outlook eMail" icon on the UAG portal and then has to wait 90 seconds. Once loaded, OWA works flawlessly.

    Ideas? - or where should I begin to look to debug this?

    Thanks.

    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:35 AM

Answers

  • Just wanted to update this thread, as I just found a solution.

    Essentially, the UAG server was configured to connect to OWA on webmail.xyz.org.uk which was an internally published DNS name. However, webmail.xyz.org.uk was *also* a public DNS name, pointing to an old public IP address on our firewall which was connected to nothing. By changing the UAG-published OWA to use the IP address of the OWA box, rather than the webmail.xyz.org.uk dns name, performance is restored.

    It may have been better to just delete the public DNS webmail.xyz.org.uk, but either way, it is fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, March 1, 2010 9:31 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:40 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    How have you setup OWA?

    Try and set it to open in a new window, then see if that fixs it.

    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

    yes, I have configured UAG to launch OWA in a new window. One other thing, after the OWA window has launched, if it is closed, it can be relaunched again instantly. ie: after OWA has been launched once, it can be launched repeatedly without the 90sec delay. 
    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:11 PM
  • I assume if you connect to OWA directly, e.g from an internal PC, it is quick to load, as you would expect?

    Through UAG, what do you see during the 90 seconds - just a white screen, or parts of the OWA interface loading, or what?

    Also, once it is loaded for one user, they can close and reopen it, and its quick - what about if a different user then loads it - do they experience the same delay, or has user1 done the hard work for user2?

    (I'm wondering if its some sort of caching or warmup issue either at the backend, or on the client side)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:10 AM
  • Just wanted to update this thread, as I just found a solution.

    Essentially, the UAG server was configured to connect to OWA on webmail.xyz.org.uk which was an internally published DNS name. However, webmail.xyz.org.uk was *also* a public DNS name, pointing to an old public IP address on our firewall which was connected to nothing. By changing the UAG-published OWA to use the IP address of the OWA box, rather than the webmail.xyz.org.uk dns name, performance is restored.

    It may have been better to just delete the public DNS webmail.xyz.org.uk, but either way, it is fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, March 1, 2010 9:31 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:40 AM