none
install usb3 hub driver before first login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I captured the image of W7 with all drivers in place (device manager absolutely clean).

After deployment from MDT2012 I have Root Hub USB3 with yellow triangle. So USB devices not running. No mouse and keyboard. To resolve the issue I have to run Driver package from within the Windows.

I found the exact discussion and possible solution here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/387263f3-6128-4ac5-89c3-bde165b9e1fe/driver-installation-problem-usb-30-root-hub?forum=configmgrosd

People talking about deployment from SCCM. Not very clear for me...

Could somebody clearly explain the steps that may help to deploy the appropriate driver.

Can I add it to out of the box or to do something from the TS for this particular model.

I have SP from HP that can extract and point to driver installation. Basically it could be at post installation because first login is Autologin. I have windows update from WSUS enabled pre application. So here I can run this driver installation. May be to add it as application and check it in Lite touch ?

What will be the best way?

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:07 AM

Answers

• You shoud unpack the drivers (likely with an unzip tool) and then import them into the Out-of-box-drivers folder. During deployment, WinPE wil search this folder for drivers matching VENdor and DEVice ID's and load the oppropriate driver(s), resulting in a machine with all drivers in place after deployment.

If your machine is an HP, this method does not work for the USB3 dirvers. You must install the USB3 package using the HP SoftPaq. For that, you need to import the SP######.exe package as an application into the Applications folder in MDT workbench. Provide "SP######.exe /s /a /s" as the quiet install command (without the quotes). This will add the USB3 drivers during deployment.

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Martin van Bellen Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:30 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:47 PM

All replies

• you can try to call a batch file from SetupComplete

SetupComplete.cmd - call %windir%\setup\scripts\script.bat (where the script to install the USB driver is located)

scripts.bat - pnputil -i -a c:\support\drivers\USB\*.inf (where the driver package is located) 

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:26 AM
  • You shoud unpack the drivers (likely with an unzip tool) and then import them into the Out-of-box-drivers folder. During deployment, WinPE wil search this folder for drivers matching VENdor and DEVice ID's and load the oppropriate driver(s), resulting in a machine with all drivers in place after deployment.

If your machine is an HP, this method does not work for the USB3 dirvers. You must install the USB3 package using the HP SoftPaq. For that, you need to import the SP######.exe package as an application into the Applications folder in MDT workbench. Provide "SP######.exe /s /a /s" as the quiet install command (without the quotes). This will add the USB3 drivers during deployment.

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Martin van Bellen Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:30 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:47 PM

Regards,

Martin

My way is the workaround. But the instructions by Martin is the proper way of doing it.
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, May 9, 2014 6:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:30 AM
    Friday, May 9, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Martin,

before reading your suggestion, I used extracted spXXXXX package.

Sure could not use Franko's advice because of bunch of .inf....

So I did exactly what you recommended.

So I pointed to setup.exe with only -s

The driver install run well as application but litetouch finished with error code 14. Which is reboot requires (found it later). It just could not detect usb mouse and keyboard.

So after restart I reinstalled everything manually and it did the trick.

Then I deployed a new image. Restarted the pc and connected keyboard and mouse. Everything went fine.

Then I created APP by your suggestion from SP. It produced the same result. A reboot is required.

Real headache with USB3

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, May 9, 2014 2:39 AM
    Friday, May 9, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Add this line to the CustomSettings.ini:

FinishAction=REBOOT

This will do a reboot upon completion of the tasksequence.

Regards,

Martin

Friday, May 9, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Martin,

I would like to restart only this pc model.

Change in customsettings.ini will affect all images.

Can I enter this in unattended.xml ?

Also, I found additional command. Somebody mentioned that if there is an error at the end the computer will not restart. Can you confirm?

the command is:

FinishAction=Restart and SkipFinalSummary=YES

Thanks.

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:50 AM
  • Yes, when the SkipFinalWarnig=YES statement is NOT implemented, an automated reboot would be suppressed if an error occured during deployment.

For your other problem, there is a simple solution:

Edit you TaskSequence
    Add a Restart Computer entry, using Add > General > Restart Computer
    Make sure it's the last statement
    With this Restart computer statement selected, go to the Options tab
    Use Add > Query WMI
    Use this as the WQL query:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%model%"

Note that you need to replace MODEL with a unique sting that is in the model-string of that specific model, for inctance, on a HP Probook 6570b, you would state: "%6570b%".

You can find the model string using PowerShell:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem

After saving the changes, the reboot should only take place on models matching the WMI query.

That said however, it's a good idea (in fact good practice) to always reboot after deployment; this resolves a lot of issues you might have in several situations...

Regards,

Martin

Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:45 AM