missing files !!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I have an unknown device.

While trying to install, it is recognized as Microsoft System Management Bus Host Controller.

But during installation, it ends and tells, it failed due to missing files.

Searching in MSDNA, it appeared to me, that I need smbhc.sys, smbclass.sys and other files, which are not located on my notebook.

Please help me.

Where can I get these files and the rest of the necessary for the installation of Microsoft System Management Bus Host Controller.

BIG THX

Maschdel

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Maschdel,

Acer does put Windows Vista log on this product website. If Acer only supports Windows XP, why they claim the problem is a Windows Vista issue? I also notice they suggest you use Window XP driver. It doesn’t make sense. it is not recommended to try Windows XP drivers on Windows Vista system as it may lead to unexpected problems.

I would like to share the following information with you:

System Management Bus (SMB) is a simple bus used primarily to communicate with devices on the motherboard, such as the battery subsystem, temperature sensor, lid switch, or other low-bandwidth devices. Support for SMB devices is provided in the Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems.

The smbhc.sys/smbclass.sys drivers were implemented to support the Smart Battery Subsystem. The ACPI SMBus Host Controller driver and Smart Battery subsystem has been removed from Windows Vista and later Windows operating systems due to lack of industry support. Windows Vista shows unknown device could be cause by the following factor:

Manufacturer has a SMB device in Windows XP but didn’t develop a driver for it in Windows Vista. Windows Vista want to install the device on its side, but the smbhc.sys/smbclass.sys have been removed. That’s why you received this error.

Please ignore this error or continue contacting Acer to address this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Typically, these files will be found on the CDs for your motherboard. You can try to find it.

In addition, you can try to download the latest chipset driver for your motherboard, which may include these files.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Generally you are right, but in this case, ACER, my Travelmate 4002WLMi's manufacturer has no Vista compliant drivers and the old drivers from XP are not working on this OS.

Even MS XP own drivers, which I copied from another notebook were not accepted by Vista.

So, what shall I do to integrate the SMBHC in Vista?

There must be a file to install the System Management Bus Host Controller with Windows files, as it was possible before in XP.

Regards,

Maschdel

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:29 PM
  •  

Hi Maschdel,

Based on my experience, this driver cannot be copied from another known computer simplify. It depends other chipset driver on the computer.

Given the current situation, it is recommended to contact Acer to check whether they will develop driver for Windows Vista.

For your convenience:

Acer Notebook computer support

http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 1, 2008 7:26 AM
  • Dear Robinson Zhang

I am deeply sorry, but ACER says, it is not their problem, but an issue of MS because they deleted the driver of MS System Management Bus Host Controller.

I have even contacted Intel, who tell me despite ACER has announced Vista Preium READY status for this serie of notebooks, Intel does not support the chipset on Vista.

I have fond the drivers and files in XP, but am not able to integtate them into Vista.

Please help me!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Hi Maschdel,

I checked Acer website and other website. This model computer is not Windows Vista Capable. Even on Acer website, they don’t offer drivers for Windows Vista:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_4000.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

It means the computer may encounter problems when using Windows Vista. Some device cannot work and some functions will be missed. If Acer doesn’t want to take responsibility, we cannot resolve this issue on Windows Vista’s side. You can ignore this error or push Acer to resolve this issue.

Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Dear Robinson Zhang

I am astonished by your last reply, because i got it black on white, that the ACER TRAVELMATE 4002WLMi is not only Vista Capable, but also Vista Premium Ready!!!

The in formation above is directly coming from ACER, who replied to my astonishment, that the notebook is Vista Premium Ready, but they don't support it for other platforms than XP.

They claim the problem, being an issue with Vista, because the driver database of the OS has a string, showing to a no existent file.

They mentioned a possibility to implement XP drivers, but could not tell me how.

This is, where it comes to MS.

They said, it should be a matter of minutes to solve this by installing the MS System Management Bus Host Controller.

A driver, that should be included in Vista.

ACER SAYS, IT IS VISTA'S FAULT AND MS SHOULD SOLVE THIS!!!

THX

Maschdel

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hi Maschdel,

Acer does put Windows Vista log on this product website. If Acer only supports Windows XP, why they claim the problem is a Windows Vista issue? I also notice they suggest you use Window XP driver. It doesn’t make sense. it is not recommended to try Windows XP drivers on Windows Vista system as it may lead to unexpected problems.

I would like to share the following information with you:

System Management Bus (SMB) is a simple bus used primarily to communicate with devices on the motherboard, such as the battery subsystem, temperature sensor, lid switch, or other low-bandwidth devices. Support for SMB devices is provided in the Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems.

The smbhc.sys/smbclass.sys drivers were implemented to support the Smart Battery Subsystem. The ACPI SMBus Host Controller driver and Smart Battery subsystem has been removed from Windows Vista and later Windows operating systems due to lack of industry support. Windows Vista shows unknown device could be cause by the following factor:

Manufacturer has a SMB device in Windows XP but didn’t develop a driver for it in Windows Vista. Windows Vista want to install the device on its side, but the smbhc.sys/smbclass.sys have been removed. That’s why you received this error.

Please ignore this error or continue contacting Acer to address this issue.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:53 AM
  • Dear Robinson Zhang

Your information is very helpful to me, but not in a kind, it could be of use.

I have contacted ACER support first time, March 2007, it took me several mind-scraping mails and phone calls with their techs, to recognize, that they have marked the Notebook series TravelMate 4002WLMi as Vista Premium Ready, but they don't support the users with new Vista compatible drivers, software or BIOS.

They say, every device installed in the notebook should be compatible to Vista own drivers.

They also claim, that they needn't give us new drivers because it is Vista, who deleted the SMBHC drivers out of its own database.

The won't give us any money for the Vista-licences we bought, we are all very content with the function of TM4002WLMi under Vista, only maddening us (around 2000 owners of this and similar notebooks) with the lack of the battery value meter.

Please give me a helping hand without ACER being part of it, cause they are not interested in consumer care!!!

We are desperate.

THX,

Maschdel

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Hi Maschdel,

Please understand that it is hardware manufacturers’ responsibility to develop their software for their hardware devices to work with Windows Vista. Microsoft does not have more detail information about this product to develop a driver.

Regarding the battery meter issue, I suggest you use third party battery monitoring software as a workaround.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Hi Robinson Zhang

I can completely understand your reply.

The point I don't get is, why Vista doesn't support the SMBHC anymore, and why ACER as the manufacturer is not interested in support, as well as, where I can get the money for my Vista back, since I can't use my notebook without battery value meter.

I tried at least 30 different third party software, resulting in either: No battery found or BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)!!!

I am desperate, but Vista without bat meter is no use to me, since I use my notebook often with no AC plug near.

Is there a possibility to implement the old XP drivers into Vista???

Sincerely,

Maschdel

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hi Maschdel,

Based on my knowledge, we cannot install the old Windows XP drivers into Windows Vista.

I deep understand the inconvenience this issue may have caused. If you want, you can contact the reseller or Microsoft Sales office to get a refund.

Thanks again.

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:21 AM