Multi-Casting MDT RRS feed

• Question

• We are a mid-size school district planning to install linked deployments at 11 sites. We have a flat layer 2 network and we were questioning if the multi-cast option in MDT would be a benefit. Anyone that could provide some insight would be appreciated. 
    Friday, April 17, 2015 12:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• It really kind of depends on how the network is setup.  If IGMP forwarding is not enabled then your PXE boot will be limited to the subnet it is on.  The biggest benefit is if you have MANY machines installing simultaneously.

If you have 11 sites you could do something like set the DeployRoot via default gateway. 

[Settings]
    Priority=DefaultGateway, Default

[DefaultGateway]
    192.168.0.1=HOUSTON
    11.1.1.11=REDMOND
    172.28.20.1=REDMOND

[HOUSTON]
    Deployroot=\\server1\share

[REDMOND]
    Deployroot=\\server2\share

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Ty Glander Friday, April 17, 2015 8:00 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Check out my blog post on Multicasting with MDT:

https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/multicasting-with-mdt/

I get into some performance thoughts at the end of the article.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:16 AM
  • Thank you both for your responses. Both were very helpful.

/Bob

Sunday, April 19, 2015 11:07 PM
  • Multi-cast would benefit you if you plan to deploy an image to many machines at the same time.

I'd also suggest that if you're using linked deployment shares for replication to different physical servers, that you instead use DFS-R if you are able to. There are benefits such as remote differential compression. You can also set the replicated shares to be read-only so that replication only comes from one "master" deployment share.

Your staging quota should be approximately half the size of your deployment share.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, April 20, 2015 2:36 AM