The Software Protection service stops on Windows 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently I have noticed that Software Protection service on our new Win2008 server is periodically running licensing status check and later there is an entry in Event log that Software Protection service has been successfully scheduled to re-start on specific date. After that I see SP service is shutting down.
    Service is set up to start Automatically (Delayed start) and I don't know if it is a good behavior that service stops.
    Can I configure it somehow to run all the time or this is expected that service stops? We receive alerts from our monitoring tool that service is down and would like to get rid of that.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:50 AM

All replies

• We have the exact same problem, as soon as we started monitoring Server 2008 R2, our monitoring system started paging us on the Software Protection service, which appeared to be going up and down. Since our monitoring system will monitor all services configured to start automatically, and since this service appears to be started and stopped "on-demand", I configured it with a Manual startup type. This appeared to have no affect on the service starting up or its behavior, and it stopped the alerts, but also had the unfortunate consequence of removing this service from monitoring.

At this point, I'm not sure how to go about monitoring this service as a service stopping on its own is not typically a good thing, but then neither is getting multiple pages throughout the day.  

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:29 AM
  • May I ask what monitoring system are you using? I'm interested in monitoring the status of certain services (with email notification in case they're stopped) and I was wondering if Windows Server already provides a tool for this task.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 12:32 PM
  • We are using a BMC product but there are numerous monitoring tools out there, some of which are quite inexpensive or even free. At my previous company, we used a combination of Snare for windows combined with Syslog + Swatch on Linux.  Albeit seemingly convoluted, this system worked remarkably well together and became (however uncouthly) known among the sysadmins as the combination of the words "SNare + swATCH."

I should point out that my previous idea of configuring the Software Protection service to manual results in a warning the System is not Genuine upon reboot. You can register/activate and this error goes away but in the end, I think its probably better to leave the service in its default automatic (delayed) state and handle that service with unique parameters/thresholds within the monitoring tool.

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:15 PM
  • We are using couple of monitoring tools (Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 (MOM), SCOM 2007 etc) but my problem is realted to Tivoli agent that generates alerts for this particular service.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Any new information on this issue? We are having the same problem. The "Shell Hardware Detection" process is being stopped just after the Software Protection service.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Any new information on this issue? We are having the same problem. The "Shell Hardware Detection" process is being stopped just after the Software Protection service.

I responded to a thread regarding the 'Shell Hardware Detection' service stopping (as you reported in your post) but haven't heard anything in response.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/298dfee8-124a-42ce-b64b-875b14b3e8dc

Nobody has  been able to explain why the 'Shell Hardware Detection' service seems to stop at random intervals - I too have service monitoring that reports the service is stopping on our 2008 R2 servers almost daily. I hadn't noticed that it was stopping just after the 'Software Protection' service...  I have looked through the servers in my environment and there doesn't seem to be a link between the two events. Both services seem to stop and start randomly.

Can anyone provide any advice as to why this might be happening for either the Shell Hardware Detection service or the Software Protection service?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:28 AM