Does App-V 4.6 SP1 works with SCCM 2007 R2 SP2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does App-V 4.6 SP1 works with SCCM 2007 R2 SP2?

/SaiTEch

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• Dear Jason,

Thanks for your clarification. I don't want to go off topic and I understand the size of Microsoft but the least thing MS could do is mention this clearly in the release notes for the product. Release notes can be found @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507623.aspx (@least that's where AppV46Readme.htm on the mdop dvd sends me).

Question remains: Does APP-V 4.6 SP1 work with SCCM (and what versions SP2 / R2-R3 / vNext)?
    Answer: from what I read above it's NO for SCCM SP2 R2 on March 16th 2011.
    In addition: Does App-V 4.6 SP 1 work on App-v 4.5 SP2 infrastructure, but that should be actually a question for the APP-V forum.

From my point of view (Microsoft customer) these are valid questions that should be addressed prior release and Microsoft is missing an opportunity here.

Kind regards.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Here is the OFFICIAL statement from the Configuration Manager product group:

No, we do not officially support App-V 4.6 SP1 with ConfigMgr 2007 (any version of it). We never have support for any dependent technology for usually 45 days post the RTM release of the technology.

The reason for this is that we have to do application compatibility testing on the RTM version of that version. We've tried this before on the RC version of a product, but then that product changes from RC to RTM, and it caused a problem. So we have to wait for RTM.

App-V 4.6 SP1 just released earlier this month, so no official announcement of support for it yet. I have checked with our app-compat team, and they expect an official statement within a few weeks (so not the normal 45 days).

Until then, it is not supported, and we do already know of one issue with it that is easily worked around (not a ConfigMgr 2007, but it does prevent successful importing of an application sequenced with App-V 4.6 SP1).

Sorry it can't happen sooner, but I think that you'd rather have us do our due diligence and do thorough testing so that we know of issues, and can proactively create hotfixes if needed, rather than you encountering issues after the fact.

Of course, it would be great if all MS product groups would coordinate efforts so that everyone is always on the same page. However that is unrealistic in a company of our size, with all the different products we have.

Wally Mead
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:23 PM

All replies

• Unknown. The ConfigMgr team will release a support statement 45-90 days after the release of a supported product like this.

I have seen reports of issues already though.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:24 PM
  • "I have seen reports of issues already though."

I have tested with no success, I had problem with manifest.xml..

/SaiTEch

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:41 AM
  • See Jason's reply. There is no support statement for that client version yet. That means that it is not supported until announced by the product group.
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Ok I am aware of support statements but I would like to add something to this discussion.

If i take a look at the sources for MDOP2011 I see App-v 4.6SP1 client and sequencer. The app-v backend infrastructure (steaming/management server) is 4.5 SP2.

Here's my point:

What's the use of announcing something when the backend of the same product is not available nor is your flagship product (sccm) ready to support.

It simply doesn't make any sense.

Kind regards.

PS: does citrix support 4.6sp1 ?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Hello - May be, you can make use of APPV forum ?http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/appvirtualization
    Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Because like it or not, Microsoft is a huge company that has hundreds of product groups. If they charted out these dependancies and actually adjusted their relase cycles based upon them, it would definitely increase cost and time to market.

What difference would it make though? You would be waiting for the ConfigMgr team either way.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Dear Jason,

Thanks for your clarification. I don't want to go off topic and I understand the size of Microsoft but the least thing MS could do is mention this clearly in the release notes for the product. Release notes can be found @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507623.aspx (@least that's where AppV46Readme.htm on the mdop dvd sends me).

Question remains: Does APP-V 4.6 SP1 work with SCCM (and what versions SP2 / R2-R3 / vNext)?
    Answer: from what I read above it's NO for SCCM SP2 R2 on March 16th 2011.
    In addition: Does App-V 4.6 SP 1 work on App-v 4.5 SP2 infrastructure, but that should be actually a question for the APP-V forum.

From my point of view (Microsoft customer) these are valid questions that should be addressed prior release and Microsoft is missing an opportunity here.

Kind regards.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Alain,

Let me first start by answering one of your questions. Yes App-v 4.6 SP1 works with APP-V 4.5 SP2, 4.6 is a client-side upgrade only. No 4.6 server backend was released or is planned afaik.

I understand your point of view and frustration, with the Configuration Manager support for APPV, they are both exciting technologies.

Unfortunately there is no real good alternative to what Microsoft is doing here.

Making sure the support statement is ready at release can only happen by delaying the appv 4.6 sp1 release with 45 days so proper testing on the final bits can occur. These 45 days testing on the actual relase is just proper change control, testing your client against your own product server platform is one thing. Have a different product team test against these bits is another thing. The 45 days before announcing a support statement for any dependent service pack or upgrade has been publicly communicated more than once by the ConfigMgr product team. We wouldn't them to announce support, based on tests on pre-released software, to later have to figure out that changes in the last released code breaks things. We would be all over them for lousy test procedures if that happened.

I assume you can understand that the appv product team isn't particularily looking forward to having its release delayed by another product. On top of that you pretty much guarantee that if Microsoft did chose to go this route and delay all service packs and new releases based on supportability of all other products that quite a few competitors would file complaints because Microsoft would get a timing advantage in testing their products against the latest bits whereas competitors would need to wait for the final bits to be released.

"Everyone is an expert at something" Kim Oppalfens Configmgr expert for lack of any other expertise. http://www.scug.be/blogs/sccm
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Here is the OFFICIAL statement from the Configuration Manager product group:

No, we do not officially support App-V 4.6 SP1 with ConfigMgr 2007 (any version of it). We never have support for any dependent technology for usually 45 days post the RTM release of the technology.

The reason for this is that we have to do application compatibility testing on the RTM version of that version. We've tried this before on the RC version of a product, but then that product changes from RC to RTM, and it caused a problem. So we have to wait for RTM.

App-V 4.6 SP1 just released earlier this month, so no official announcement of support for it yet. I have checked with our app-compat team, and they expect an official statement within a few weeks (so not the normal 45 days).

Until then, it is not supported, and we do already know of one issue with it that is easily worked around (not a ConfigMgr 2007, but it does prevent successful importing of an application sequenced with App-V 4.6 SP1).

Sorry it can't happen sooner, but I think that you'd rather have us do our due diligence and do thorough testing so that we know of issues, and can proactively create hotfixes if needed, rather than you encountering issues after the fact.

Of course, it would be great if all MS product groups would coordinate efforts so that everyone is always on the same page. However that is unrealistic in a company of our size, with all the different products we have.

Wally Mead
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Thanks Wally..

and Torsten, Kim and Jason

/SaiTech

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:02 PM
  • No issues importing sequenced 4.6 SP1 apps after deleting the report.xml out of the directory. 
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:07 AM
  • There's one more issue, with WORKINGDIR value. Causes "Invalid folder name" error (loosely translated).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:47 PM
  • There's one more issue, with WORKINGDIR value. Causes "Invalid folder name" error (loosely translated). Delete or edit the value between <WORKINGDIR></WORKINGDIR>.
    • Edited by TNator Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:47 PM