Is it workable to download the monthly update alone to isolate network WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if it is workable to just download the latest monthly update and export it to my isolate network WSUS?

For every month the we are dealing with importing and copying large wsuscontent that could take many hours. Since my isolated network WSUS already have all the previous and current month data. Can i just do differential/latest month update in future to reduce the size of wsuscontent  and for faster import?

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you mean that manually download updates from Microsoft catalog, and then import to WSUS server, This should work. But in my point of view, this may cause updates missing.

To reduce size of WSUS content, hope below thread be helpful:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e2e11678-969c-4504-ae71-18c0d60b0541/need-help-reducing-size-of-wsuscontent-directory?forum=winserverwsus

Regards,

Yan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:38 AM
  • Hi Yan,

Not Exactly. I mean we have a WSUS connected to internet synchronizing those products we require every month. On the patch Tuesday we will export out the Cab and log file to an external hard disk along with the copy of WSuSContent for our internal WSUS.

So it like during august we have to copy out the 400 over GB worth of WsusContent, and on September the WsusContent is 450 GB. Can i just filter out the past updates on WSUS but pick up only those available updates for October in Cab, log and WSUSContent to import inot my internal(isolated) WSUS?

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:59 AM