Outlook 2016 issues on RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Posted on the RDS forum but was advised to post within Office 2016.

We have the following situation:

Single RDS (2012R2) with Outlook 2016 and mailboxes in cloud only Office 365. We are not using UPDs or roaming profiles.

If we enable the Windows Search feature, it eventually creates a 500GB+ file which runs the server out of space and causes search issues in Outlook. If we disable Windows Search then we get errors / missing search results for users unless we disable cached Exchange mode. This then gives the server side search but of course Outlook is pretty slow to use and gives the dreaded white screen whilst it is querying the server.

Is there a way to get Outloook Search to work properly without a massive database file being created? I'd settle for just having Cached Exchange Mode with server side searching only but this doesn't appear to work.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, June 4, 2018 6:37 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2018 12:31 PM

All replies

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, baring someone else chiming in with a solution. Windows and Outlook search is such a PITA when dealing with terminal services. It takes up a lot of CPU resources as well as space.

If you disable search you get messages in Outlook complaining about it and there is no way to disable these messages. I'm with you. If I wanted an indexed search I would enable it. But I don't want an indexed search because it takes up CPU cycles unnecessarily and just plain hogs resources.

We have a service that archives email and the search functionality in it is more than acceptable for us. But no, Microsoft has to cram search down our throats and we have to take it like... well I'm going to stop there before I say something that gets me banned from the forum, lol.

Good luck though, and I hope that someone can provide an actual solution other than have you done a repair install of office or run sfc /scannow. Grrr...

Friday, June 1, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

>>If we enable the Windows Search feature, it eventually creates a 500GB+ file which runs the server out of space

What are those 500GB+ files? 

Do you mean the account data file? What if we change offline settings to keep mail offline to a shorter time, such as 3 or 6 months? To find this option, please go to File > Account settings > Account Settings. Double click your account.

Disabling Windows Desktop Search will cause Outlook to use it's built in search and search preference will be impacted which may not be recommended.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:26 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

How's everything going with the issue? Was my reply above helpful?

Please feel free to tell me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Just check if this issue has been fixed.

Haven't heard from you for several days. If you have found the solution, would you mind sharing it here so that it will benefit other forum members?

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Have a nice day~

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:14 AM