none
Can't ping my local server through its name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

This is my first post and I'm new to windows server and virtualization so I hope you can help me 

I installed a windows server 2008 r2 on a virtual machine (VmWare) called (dev) and everything is working fine 

What I'm trying to do is to access the server using its name not IP and I couldn't ( no ping no remote desktop works when using server name but it works when using IP) I think that the problem is in the DNS but how can I check it ??

Thanks.

Zarour

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• This isn't related to Microsoft Virtual Server (this forum)

This is more likely a basic DNS  or TCP/IP connectivity question, don't overcomplicate it because it is in a VM.

First, verify your networking is set correctly to allow PING, that is usually called Bridge mode (since it's a VMWare product that would be the best place for detailed help).  In bridged mode networking your VM should have TCP/IP info similar to your host's, like same DNS servers, GW, subnet.  If you can get an IP from your network, then just do the basic troubleshooting you'd do with a physical server.  Firewall, gateway, etc.

If you can't get any iP address check with your network admins to verify that your switches allow multiple IPs on one port.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:15 PM