SBS 2003 and Windows 8.1 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Are there restrictions joining a Windows 8.1 Pro computer to a SBS 2003 Server. So far unable to connect.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, it seems there is no Microsoft articles that indicate Win8.1 Pro doesn't support Windows SBS 2003.

You can contact Microsoft Customer Service, I believe that you will get an accurate response there.

Microsoft Customer Service

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contact_microsoft_customer_serv?&fr=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Meanwhile, please try to add the client with Server Management at SBS 2003 manually.

Then, set the Win SBS2003 IP as the only DNS server in the Windows 8.1 client.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you post the question on Small Business Server forum for further help.

Small Business Server forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home?forum=smallbusinessserver

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:39 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I too would like to know before I let a user get a win 8.1 PC.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:12 PM
  • BartFriedman,

Have you had an answer to your question as yet?

We have a Windows 2003 SBS server and I have four Windows 8.1 computers successfully joined to our Windows SBS [domain] Server.  I do not believe there are any "restrictions joining a Windows 8.1 Pro computer to a SBS 2003 Server".

We do have one other Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Windows 8) Tablet PC that I am unable to join to the domain due to an issue I have yet to resolve.  When attempting to join it to the domain, a  dialog box appears  called "Change Computer Settings" with the message text "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". 

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:33 AM
  • Hi Bratfriendman,

We are unable to join windows 8.1 pro to windows server 2003. Can you please tell us the step, which you did to join domain.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Can you please tell us the step, which you did to join domain.

AdnanVirani,

The normal method that I use to join a computer to a domain is to use the "System" option in Control Panel, select "Change settings", in the System Properties windows, in the Computer Name tab, select the "Change..." button, and use the "Computer Name/Domain Changes" window. If the computer is already part of a domain and not in a work group, I put it into a workgroup, then after a reboot (this is not normally required), I then go through this entire process all over again, but this time select "Domain" and enter the name of our Windows SBS 2003 Server (i.e. domain controller).

On one of our Windows 8.1 computers this process did not work (though it should have), the only way I was able to get it to work (i.e. get the Tablet to join our domain again), was to do a Windows OS restore, the apply updates, then install Windows 8.1 (another update but a large one), and then add it to the computer to our domain. There must have been a corruption in the system which doing the restore fixed.  The restore option I selected allowed me to choose to keep the user data, so even though I had to reinstall all the applications (flash, java, Adobe reader, Microsoft Office), when the domain user was able to log in again, their email and other settings were still there configured for them, which I found great !

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:57 PM