User cannot sign in to Skype mobile app RRS feed

• Question

• We use Skype for Business thru our Office 365 account. We have a single user who cannot sign into Skype for Business on her Android phone. She just keeps getting: "We can't sign you in.  Please try again." Sometimes it will sign her in for a couple of seconds and she can see her Skype contacts, and then that message will pop up and sign her out.

No one else has problems using Skype for Business on their phone. She has no problem using Skype for Business on her desktop. I tried removing and reinstalling Skype for Business on her phone and clearing the cache. That did not help. In fact, that made it worse as it would immediately give an error without signing her in at all. Other than factory resetting her phone (which is not an option, as it's her personal phone, not a work phone), I don't have any more ideas.

She also has the Outlook App on her phone and that works perfectly. She has no problem signing in to it. What is my next step in fixing this? I am stumped. I thought of opening a ticket with Office 365 but then they will be calling me and wanting the user to do stuff, which would be hard to coordinate as the user is in a different building than me and may not be available when the technician calls me.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Margaret A-L,

In order to narrow down the issue scope, please do a cross check as the following steps:

1.You could try to sign in other mobile devices with the problem user account.

2.Use other user accounts to sign in the problem mobile device.

Please provide me with the results and I will do a further analysis.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:21 AM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:14 AM
  • I am still waiting for the user to try the suggestions posted here.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:06 PM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

Do you have any update?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:43 AM
  • I'm still waiting on the user.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

I’m still waiting for your update. If there is any update please feel free to share with us.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:25 AM
  • The latest update from the user is that she tried logging in and got a different popup this time, asking if she trusts a certificate. I told her to go ahead and trust it, since the certificate was showing info about lync. I have not heard back from the user since I told her that.
    Friday, December 6, 2019 6:07 PM
  • I got an update today from the user. She tried to accept the certificate but the message went away when she had to get into another app and now it's just back to "we can't sign you in. Please try again" banner at the top of the screen after attempting login. She tried having a co-worker sign in on her phone to Skype and they got the same message. 
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

According to your description, I recommend you try to do a Skype for Business Client-side Anti-Virus Scanning.

Microsoft has found that some client-side issues can arise because of anti-virus interference with normal operations.

For more details, please refer to:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/Skype-for-Business-Client-Side-Anti-Virus-Scanning/ba-p/621198

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:38 AM
  • This problem is on a phone, not a PC. I don't understand why you would send me an article about client-side anti-virus scanning which only seems to apply to a PC.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

I’m so sorry. However, you can try to use some Android antivirus app to do a scanning in Skype for Business client.

Moreover, do you have any news about this issue?

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:23 AM
  • I am having the same issue, got any news on how to solve it?
    Thanks,

Alex.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:31 AM
  • The article is telling people that the antivirus software on their PC may be interfering with Skype and to fix that. It's not telling them to scan their PC for viruses. So why would you say to scan the Android phone for viruses? 
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Nope. All I know is that another user got the same error trying to sign in to Skype on the user's phone. So it's probably an issue with the phone but I already removed/reinstalled Skype on it and cleared the cache. So short of factory resetting the phone, I don't know how to fix it. I'm sure the user is not going to be willing to factory reset her phone.
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi Margaret A-L,

Maybe you could try to remove an account of Skype for Business on Android as the following image.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:27 AM
  • I will ask the user to try removing her account, though I don't see how that will help since she had a co-worker try to sign in to her Skype app on her phone and they had the same error.
    Friday, December 27, 2019 5:19 PM