none
Route Subdomains to Sharepoint

Question

• I'm trying to get routing working for my subdomain.  Everything works internally but when users send from outside they get a bounce back.  I'm trying to route public email addresses to my SharePoint site. 

I'm getting "#550 5.7.1 RESOLVER.RST.AuthRequired; authentication required ##rfc822;".

In sharepoint all my items get created with a subdomain.  Ex:  contact@sharepoint.domain.com.  In order to route some email I added a @domain.com address as well, but the primary is sharepoint.domain.com.

So I thought that if contact@domain.com were emailed it would find it and route to contact@sharepoint.domain.com.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• Have you seen this thread?

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/244726

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:06 PM
  • So I did find something very interesting!!!!  My contact is restricted to "Authenticated Users Only"..... 

I've kind of been messed up with the new web interface for Exchange so when I went to looking for this setting it wasn't there.

We actually use Active Roles so I started looking through there.  That's when I noticed that Authenticated users only was checked. 

DOI!!!

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:07 PM

All replies

• Where are you getting this message?

Did you add sharepoint.domain.com as an accepted domain of type InternalRelay?

Do you have a send connector for that domain pointed to the SharePoint server?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Yes

I have the accepted domain as:

Name: sharepoint.domain.com
    Accepted Domain: sharepoint.domain.com
    This accepted domain is: Internal Relay

The send connector as:

Address Space: sharepoint.domain.com
    Source: ExchHub01,ExchHub02
    Delivery: MX ( I also did smarthost but didn't matter )

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Did you create a receive connector and enable it for relay?

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2013-configure-smtp-relay-connector/

If you have a finite set of addresses, a better approach is to create mail contacts for them in Exchange.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:04 PM
  • I didn't.  I didn't think I needed that.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:05 PM
  • I'm not sure where you're getting that message, actually.  Are you sure it's not coming from SharePoint?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:12 PM
  • Yeah from the hubs.  Internally it works.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:12 PM
  • I've seen that message when users try to send to a distribution group that requires authentication.  Are you sure that the address in question isn't attached to a distribution group?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Have you seen this thread?

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/244726

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:06 PM
  • One more thing.  To test this, try sending a test message by opening a command window on the Exchange transport server, doing a telnet to the SharePoint server on port 25, and fat-fingering a message like the one from outside.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Wow so it's the way the contact is created!!!  Thank you for the help Ed Crowley.

The contacts I have were created through SharePoint not through Exchange.  I created a test contact and sent an email with no bounce back. 

I still need to trace the email and see how to associate a contact with a SharePoint repository.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:43 PM
  • {250 2.1.5 Recipient OK} is in the message tracking logs. 

Thanks again.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:45 PM
  • So I did find something very interesting!!!!  My contact is restricted to "Authenticated Users Only"..... 

I've kind of been messed up with the new web interface for Exchange so when I went to looking for this setting it wasn't there.

We actually use Active Roles so I started looking through there.  That's when I noticed that Authenticated users only was checked. 

DOI!!!

David Jenkins

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:07 PM
  • Glad you got it sorted out.  Thanks for posting back.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:31 PM