Odd Device Metadata Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having this odd device metadata problem and hope someone can help figure out.  I noticed that the devices and printers folder did not show realistic icons for my devices.  After some research, i figured out all of the folders where the device information is stored.  The problem is that when the devices and printers folder is refreshed,  the following folder is deleted:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Device Metadata\dmrccache\en-us

The en-us folder is automatically deleted.  Even if I recreate the folder, when the devices and printers folder is refreshed it is deleted so no realistic icons.

My system is Windows 7 x64, 8gb ram, Core I7, Radeon 5850. 

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This problem may happens if your user profiles are corrupted. Try to test the problem in a new account:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Click "User Accounts"->"User Accounts"
    3. Click "Manager another account" and click "Create a new account".
    4. Input the user name, select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".
    5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

Thomas77
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Thanks Thomas , I guess I should have been more clear.  I know the basics.  I have been an IT admin for 20 years  and am pretty sure I know how to create a user account.  I guess I thought posting on a technet board would elicit more than a basic troubleshooting response. I have even rebuilt the OS several times trying to figure out.  Something else is going on that is deleting the folder.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Norbert,

I have the exact same issue. Local admin has no problem but domain user does not see it.  We have no proxy here.  Were you able to resolve?  Fresh Win7 instance here so I am wondering what could be causing this. 

Thank you!

Nicolas

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Ok - I fixed it on my own.  So, for anyone else that needs it, it appears that the domain permissions set the registry to not inherit OWNER CREATOR permissions as Full.  Once I stopped inheriting the permissions and set to full for my user, system and owner creator in:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Device Metadata 

I was good WHEW.

Nicolas

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:19 PM