none
Multiple OS options in a single task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I work as a contractor for a client which has three separate computer models but want their systems set up in almost the same way.

As almost all steps are alike, I tried to set up a single task sequence but with multiple "Install Operating System" steps (one for each model) and filtered them as per model (manufacturer is the same).

Unfortunately it appears that while it displays the correct label for the task, in reality it only picks the top image for the deployment and it keeps using the top image even if I disables that task or include a filter to use the top image if the manufacturer both is and isn't Fabricam to make sure the condition will never be true.

Is there a way for me to get around this? I would prefer to keep it as a single task sequence as if my client want a change in the deployment, I only need to make the change in one location while maintaining easy overview of all steps.

Peter

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:26 AM

Answers

• The MDT litetouch Task Sequence is designed to have 1:1 relationship with the selected Operating System.

It might be possible to dynamically change the OS during deployment, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Remember, you can "clone" task sequences by taking the ts.xml reference image from your \deployment\share\TS\ts.xml share and copying it to Program Files\microsoft deployment toolkit\templates folder (don't forget to rename it within the <sequence name"xxx"> element).

You could customize the cs.ini file to auto-select the correct Task Sequence to run based on the platform type, to abstract that selection from your customer.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:11 AM

All replies

• The MDT litetouch Task Sequence is designed to have 1:1 relationship with the selected Operating System.

It might be possible to dynamically change the OS during deployment, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Remember, you can "clone" task sequences by taking the ts.xml reference image from your \deployment\share\TS\ts.xml share and copying it to Program Files\microsoft deployment toolkit\templates folder (don't forget to rename it within the <sequence name"xxx"> element).

You could customize the cs.ini file to auto-select the correct Task Sequence to run based on the platform type, to abstract that selection from your customer.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:11 AM
  • Hi

Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I will have to live with reality.

I knew I could filter by model and have an automatic selection of the task sequence but I would have preferred to only have one sequence so any modification is only done once rather than once per sequence.

Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:57 AM
  • hi,Tzeentch,have you figured it out?

I run to the same issue as you did.

I'd like to have your help with it.

Thanks a lot

allenpu

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:18 AM