Large user cache with Sequenced IE add-ons, how to resolve without deleting user specific settings? RRS feed

• Question

• On our hosted environment we use SoftGrid 4.2 (for TS) on Citrix.

We have sequenced Internet Explorer add-ons like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Air, Microsoft Silverligt, Adobe Reader, Adobe Shockwave and Sun Java. We use the local Internet Explorer .exe outside 'the bubble'. This is how Microsoft it described in the App-V 4.5 Sequencing Guide, part 12.2 "Sequencing Web Based Applications".

The suite works fine, but the user cache is becoming verry large, the file location of the user-cache: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\SoftGrid Client\SUITE-NAME\UsrVol_sftfs_v1.tmp

If the users browse some websites the temp file growed to many MB's per day. Useritems like cookies, trusted sites, history, startpage(!) are stored in this file, this is why it isn't an option to delete the file... The Internet Explorer Cache size is limited to 1 MB, but dit didn't solve the issue.

How to limit the size of the user temp file whitout losing the user settings? Can useritems be stored outside softgrid in the user profile? Now users have long logon times because the large profile.

Hope you have a solutions for this!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:50 AM

All replies

• When sequencing applications you can create exclusion items so that those locations are not stored in the sequence. e.g. you could add %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer as exclusions.

In the sequencer open Tools / Options / Exclusion Items. However you should test what impact adding exclusions will have on your profiles and the virtual applications.

It also sounds like you are using roaming profiles and have the User Data Directory in the default location (%APPDATA%), which must then be copied around when logging on and off the machine. In some envrionments (Terminal Server farms is a good example) you could modify the User Data Directory to point to a network location (e.g. %HOMESHARE%), moving those files outside of the roaming profile.

The .PKG file will then only be copied down from the network when a virtual application is run (and copied back when the application is closed).

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Aaron thanx for your reply. We use roaming profiles and we use folder redirection for Application Data. But i think the SoftGrid Client copies/move the user tempfile (UserVol_sftfs_v1.tmp) locally when the application is started to the user profile and write it back when the Softgrid app is closed. (as you said in the last line I see :))

I take a look at the Exclusions list.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:29 PM
  • I have configure the Exclusion List after I Sequenced with the application wizard. But the data isn't stored directly in the profile but still in the usercache...

As a second try, I have made a new suite and fill the Exclusion List before I used the application wizard. After installing the add-ons and testing the suite; the same issue exist... (e.g.: My startpage is stored within my usercache and not in the userprofile...)

The lines I add to the Exclusion List:

• \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Cache > VRG
    • \REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellNoRoam > VRG
    • \REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer > VRG
    • \REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings > VRG
    • %CSIDL_PROFILE%\Local Settings > VFS

In the Sequencer I delete many user registry key's on the Virtual Registry Tab (REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer).

Is there someting what I do wrong? Or what I have to add to the Exclusion List as well?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Hi Hardinxcore.

Did You find a solution for this problem yet?
    I've planned to make a similar sequence with IE and a few add-ons like You did>

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:24 AM
  • You can also delete the "Local Setting" folder from the sequence and then try

GNU Developer by choice ....
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:04 PM