[UNRESOLVED-CLOSED] Vista Black Screen White Mouse Cursor KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death) RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Please boot from DVD and try the following method:

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
    ============================================
    1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 
    4. Click Repair your computer. 
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.
    7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD
    ============================================
    1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 
    4. Click Repair your computer. 
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 
    7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Good afternoon & thanks for taking the time to review my post.

I tried method 1 a few times on both the original hard drive and the cloned hard drive with no change.  Each time it claims it doesn't detect anything wrong, and/or that it cannot be fixed, but, when expanding the details section, you can see that something did fail at some point:

Root cause found:
      -------------------------
      Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
      Result: Failed.  Error code = 0xa

I tried 'sfc /scannow /offbootdir=DRIVE /offwindir=DRIVE:\Windows' but it says 'There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete.  Restart Windows and run sfc again.' every time.  I rebooted a few times and it reported the same thing every time.  The 'solution' for that was to remove the 'pending.xml' file in '%windir%\winsxs\' but I don't know what possible rammifications that may cause.  In any event, it did its thing then reported that 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them'.  Using this as my guide, I discovered there weren't any "[SR]" entries in the CBS.log, but there were a few "err"ors and "fail"ed entries.  For brevity's sake I'm not going to paste the log here but you can find the log here: http://www.juli.us/support/forums/technet_VistaKSOD_CBS.txt

My coworker believes/is convinced this is a video driver issue.  So we're going to see if we can fix it from that angle.  Is there a basic-vga-only boot option for Vista that will not try to load any drivers?  Is there an option to selectively choose which drivers Vista loads when booting? (interactive boot)

I tried method 2 twice but that didn't work either.  I remember it distinctly because it scanned for Windows installations, said it successfully scanned Windows installations, reported 0 identified Windows instllations then finished saying 'the operation completed successfully.'  Seems a bit unusual to me.  I ran ScanOS after that which also reported 0 installations and FixMBr, and FixBoot don't do anything to correct the problem either.

Thanks again - I look forward to hearing more suggestions from anyone/everyone on this.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Please note Safe mode and Safe mode with Networking load the Vga.sys driver. As this issue persists in Safe Mode, in most cases it indicates more kernel error related. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

Microsoft - Help and Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see Microsoft Worldwide Home for regional support phone numbers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

At the same time, I suggest perform In-place upgrade on the cloned system to check if we can recover the application.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.
    If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.
    Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to review and respond - I greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately the system doesn't boot into Windows for me to do an in-place upgrade; There's no way for me to get into the Windows environment.

As for your comment about the video, when booting into safe mode I see a few references to ATI drivers, like atipci.sys, being loaded.  Based on that and what we've seen on some other forums we think that may be a cause/source of the problem.  Who knows for sure.

I don't mind calling Microsoft for support, but I'm not going to pay $n just to hear someone tell me I need to do a clean install and salvage what I can.  I don't mind paying $n, within reason of course, if they can get this up and running again.  Since there's no guarantee, that's not really an option.  I don't see a Win-Win situation here.

Is there another option for sfc to forcibly repair any/all corrupt files with good files from the CD?
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:14 AM