Wuauclt /updatenow replace by PowerShell or VB or any other actions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys ,

As command "wuauclt /updatenow" have to take effect in system which users is logging on . So I want to find some other command or methods which can trigger windows update install action right now in background and without user logon.

The purpose is that I can speed up the progress of windows patch deployment . I can finish the windows update installation at only one night even update needs to install over 3 times or even more.  

Thanks . 

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Robert Qian,

>So I want to find some other command or methods which can trigger windows update install action right now in background and without user logon.

If you want windows update to run automatically, then, you may configure Automatic Update in group policy:

>I can finish the windows update installation at only one night even update needs to install over 3 times or even more.  

As for this requirement, I think maybe you mean some updates may need several restarts to finish the installation. If so, then the above policies couldn't meet the requirement. The above policies may be configuration to set windows update to install updates in a scheduled time, for example, every Saturday 3:00 pm. Then every Saturday, the computer will install updates if there are new updates.

If my understanding is correct that you mean windows update need several restarts, then, you may need a script to meet your requirements.

Generally, one restart for windows update is enough, and AU options is mainly used to configure Automatic update.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Hi Anne ,

In fact I want to automatically install patches 3 times at least at one night  . There will be over 3 times installation and reboot for lots of missing patches basing on test results.

I hope we can find some simple script or command to trigger windows update "install "actions (just like manually input "wuauclt /updatenow"). I will deploy it as scheduled task via GPO.

Thanks .

Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:46 AM
  • Hi Robert Qian,

Then, could it work if you put the script in task schedule? If yes, you mark your reply as answer.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Hi Anne ,

I do not find any scripts to trigger patch install action. So can you help to give some scripts ?

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:20 AM
  • Hi Robert Qian,

You may try this one:

Searching, Downloading, and Installing Updates

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387102(VS.85).aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Dear Anne ,

Thanks for your reply . In fact we deploy many patches (more than two months) at one time  .  So PC will reboot 2 or 3 times normally  .  Luckily I had found a vb script to trigger install action via schedule : )

But I just found another issue that PC install the first or secondly batch patches . It seems it will wail for a long time to receive the third batch patches . No matter trigger to "check for update" via manual or automatic action . 

Do you know why it happened   ? 

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:03 AM