none
Multiple Physical DPM Servers with shared tape library RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to DPM and Tape Backup. My last place of employment had Avamar for their backup needs. However, this environment seems to be overly complicated. First we have 7 DPM servers and they are set for short term disk long term tape backup.W

While for the most part everything is working well, I do have a question about the tapes. We see a large difference in Free/Ready for Offsite/Expired tapes depending on what server you are looking at. Since they use a shared library server shouldn't they all report the same numbers for tapes? I have done some looking but haven't been able to find much any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Once a DPM Server writes to a tape, that server basically owns it unless you mark it free again after it's expired.  To make that easy you can schedule a force free tape job weekly or daily.

Download the dpmtapeutil-2012  powershell script and install it on each DPM Server then schedule it to look for expired tapes and mark them as free.

Example-1  Schedule forcefree tape for expired tapes every Monday at 5:00pm

.\dpmtapeutil-2012.ps1 -search "state=recyclable" -forcefree -schedule "Enable|Weekly|Mon|17:00"

Example-2  Schedule forcefree tape for expired tapes every 1 day at 10:00am

.\dpmtapeutil-2012.ps1 -search "state=recyclable" -forcefree -schedule "Enable|daily|1|10:00"

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:14 PM