none
Move from Backup Value to Recovery Services Vault RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of servers backed in Backup Vaults. I wish to move these to a Recovery Services Vault to make use of notification options. Is it possible to migrate the data or do I have to backup from scratch ?
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, it is not possible to convert  "Backup Vault" from the classic Azure portal to a "Recovery Services Vault" on the new Azure portal, However, you can register the classic VM's to the new "Recovery Services Vault"

Regards,
    Azam khan

Monday, August 29, 2016 12:13 PM
  • So how do I cope with the fact that I need to preserve my data for 7 years? Do I need to maintain both vaults?

There should be a migration option, because we cannot rely on long term availability now.

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Hello Richard,

If you are backing up Azure classic VMs you can follow the steps outlined in the below article to migrate the backups from backup vault to recovery service vault.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/backup-azure-backup-ibiza-faq/#i-have-backed-up-my-classic-vms-in-backup-vault-now-i-want-to-migrate-my-vms-from-classic-mode-to-resource-manager-mode-how-can-i-backup-them-in-recovery-services-vault

If you are backing up on-premises workloads, kindly leave your feedback here. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:23 PM
  • We are in a same situation as Richard D described.

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel though, see this FAQ:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-backup-ibiza-faq

"Can I migrate a Backup vault to a Recovery Services vault? 

Unfortunately no, at this time you can't migrate the contents of a Backup vault to a Recovery Services vault. We are working on adding this functionality, but it is not available as part of Public Preview."

So hopefully, after some time there will be an option for this, and we will be able to move out classic Backup Vaults to ARM based Recovery Services vault....

• Proposed as answer by Bursky Peter Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:16 AM
    • Edited by Bursky Peter Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:16 AM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:16 AM