Vista x64 Instalation hangs after booting from DVD. RRS feed

• Question

• I’m having an issue with installation of Vista x64 onto my machine.

Id like to point out that i have previously installed Vista64 Ultimate on this machine, immediately "downgraded" to Vista32 Ultimate (due to poor and/or nonexistent drivers for 64, or lack of 64bit support in some software), and I’ve been running that successfully ever since.

Now that the hardware drivers have finally matured, software updates have come out, and SP1 has arrived, I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and move to x64. This is where all the fun starts.

Keep in mind I have had no problems installing Vista64 or 32 originally.

When i put in the Vista 64 DVD, it boots to the disc, gets to the loading files screen. Gets to the Windows Vista scrolling green bar screen. Moves to another screen where a "vista-esque" green back ground loads, my curser shows up on screen, and then... nothing happens.

I’ve let my system sit this way for over 30 minutes with no progress.

I thought perhaps it was a V64 issue, and plopped my V32 disc into the drive, and the exact same symptom happens.

The most disconcerting thing is, what if my system was FUBAR, and i needed to do a repair install, or a recovery. I can’t do squat. I’m glad my system isn’t currently in a state of disrepair, because I would be fuming at this.

No hardware changes have been made. No drivers have been changed (sans typical Video, and Audio driver updates), BIOS is up to date (and the same as it was with the current install).

Everything is exactly as it was, and now it doesn’t work. Why?

Any ideas?
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest backing up your important files and then boot from the Windows Vista disk to perform a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

If the computer cannot boot from the disk, I suggest checking if your DVD drive is damaged, unplugging all unnecessary devices such as external USB drives, sound card, printers to check the result.

Please also remember to keep your BIOS up-to-date.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, July 7, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tim.

But I have a serious question for you?

Did you actually read my post?

As much as I appreciate the “tip” on backing up my data…I’m moving from Vista32 to Vista64, so obviously I am going to have to do a clean install. As there is no easy upgrade route there.

Also there is no problem booting from the disc. It boots just fine, the problem is after it boots, it simply hangs before the disc utility screen. Making the suggestion of formatting and performing a clean install even all the more absurd. Obviously that’s what HAS to be done in order to install x64 from x86.

And before you even say it, YES, I have an x64 compatible processor. And YES, my BIOS is up to date, and is the latest available.

This issue happens with the x86 or the x64 version of the disc.

Unplugging all hardware but video, and the drive that will host the OS does not resolve the issue.

So far I have only come across one possible solution. But have not had the time to try it out yet.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:38 AM
  •  Buck-O wrote:

So far I have only come across one possible solution. But have not had the time to try it out yet.

Can you update on what's that ?

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:58 PM
  •  

The "solution", is time. Essentially you just have to let it set there for the better part of an hour (or more for some) until it does whatever it is its doing.

I’ve heard a whole multitude of reasons as for why this happens, from soundcards, to an existing windows partition, to that partition not being on SATA device 0, to mixed SATA and PATA drives, etc., etc.

It doesn’t seem that anyone really knows exactly why it hangs there, but the solution to the hanging is simply to let it sit. I’ve seen reports of people letting their systems sit overnight to get to the disc utilities screen.

It’s just strange because I did not have this problem when I installed vista on launch day...

EDIT: Someone marked this as the answer to this question. This is not a solution, just a possible work around to a common problem. It may or may not work for everyone.

Unmarking as answer.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:49 PM
  •  

I am replying once more, in protest, that this thread has been marked as "answered", when in fact, no solution has been given.

So far I would rate my experience as "extremely dissatisfied", with the level of "help" provided on these forums.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:00 PM
  • I'm interested in trying your issue. But you know I've a iMAC. Vista 32 bit just runs cools but Vista64 a strict No
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Just had this exact problem and updating BIOS to the most recent version (08/15/2008) allowed the installation to continue and complete normally.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:54 AM
  • HI BUCK-O,

HANG UPS ARE COMMON WHEN TWO DIFFERENT, YET IN THE SAME OPERATING SYSTEM CONFLICT.

THE 64-BIT SYSTEM IS A MORE ROBUST SYSTEM OFFERING GREATER VIDEO AND SOUND QUALITY THEN A 32-BIT OPERATING SYSTEM THUS, THE TWO SYSTEM WILL CONFLICT WITH EACH OTHER.

TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM YOU HAVE TO REVERT THE COMPUTER BACK TO FACTORY.

BACKUP ANY FILES YOU HAVE, EITHER TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR REWRITABLE CD DISK, THEN USING THE SYSTEM RESTORE RESET THE COMPUTER BACK TO FACTORY.

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE ANY SOFTWARE THAT YOU NEED A PRODUCT KEY TO ACTIVATE, MAKE NOTE OF THOSE BEFORE YOU DO A FACTORY RESET.

HOWARD_ 
    • Proposed as answer by HOWARD_ Monday, September 28, 2009 5:57 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:51 AM