DPM 2010 SystemState/BMR now failing RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been using DPM on our production environment for about 3 weeks now.  One of my servers now seems to be having a problem backing up it's Sys State & BMR.  This was working solidly before and nothing has changed.  DPM error:
    ---------------------------
    Affected area: Computer\System Protection
    Occurred since: 4/8/2011 5:02:30 AM
    Description: Recovery point creation jobs for System Protection Computer\System Protection on <redacted computer name> have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 3.

If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x8078002A). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

More information
    -------------------------------------------- 

All the system volumes back up correctly, and the system state was working fine.  I can't see any obvious errors in the system's logs and I haven't found a good answer here yet.  Can somebody help me?

• Changed type Yegor Startsev Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:09 PM lack of activity
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• Look in the target servers event log and you may get more details on what the error actually is. Sometimes the DPM errors are pretty cryptic.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Backup started at <datetime> failed with following error code '2155348010' (One of the backup files could not be created.).  Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

Looking around, it generally means that the target is out of room.  The only problem I have with this is that we have a 18 TB raid for backup space and it still has 2 TB unallocated (auto-growth = On).  Shouldn't this take care of allocation problems?

If my BMR is trying to backup data on all disks, the whole replication would be: 940GB

Any insight?

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Hello Jay,

What is the role of the target server?  Is it a hyperV server for example with the HyperV Vhd's also stored on the C:?
    Do the windows backup logs state anything in more detail? Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup
    folder? Does the DPM server state anything more detailed in the event log?

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:44 PM