Cannot open new Dictation software RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded Windows 10, and then the "Dictate" software. The Dictation tab shows up in my Word software, but if I try to open it I get the message "Unable to start speech recognition client." I am not sure if it can detect the microphone I believe it built into my laptop... Possible issue: I downloaded the 64-bit version rather than the default 32-bit version, as that is what my software said it was. 

??

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• If you right click the start button and choose Device Manager, does a Microphone show? If not any unknown \ yellow exclaimation mark devices listed? If unknown devices if you right click does right click and update drivers help?

If not what is the make the and model of your system? Have you downloaded and installed the drivers for that?

Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Yes, when I open the Audio Input and Output folder I now see two microphones -- the built-in one, and an external one I just bought and installed because another item on the message board mentioned one was required for Dictate. 

I did not see any items listed with a  yellow exclamation mark, and all those listed seemed OK to me (though I'm a rank amateur with computers, other than using them). 

My system is a Dell laptop, with a tag that says Inspiron 14R. (On the back it says Inspiron 5421.) I have been using it for several years, so I assume all the drivers are fine. I did just download Windows 10 before downloading Dictate; if there is something else I should have done for Windows 10, I don't know what it is.

Thanks for the response. Hope you can help me.

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:43 AM
  • P.S. When I try using Dictate, not only do I get the immediate error message, it also makes my Microsoft Word stop working and have to restart. 

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:45 AM
  • Does the Voice Recorder app work with both microphones? If so then suggest you would need company that do the dictate software for further assistance.
    Friday, September 29, 2017 6:13 PM
  • The company that did the Dictate software is Microsoft. It was/is a Microsoft Garage product. (I thought this was the site for Dictate questions. ?)

Randy

Friday, September 29, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Cannot find the Dictate software on my Windows 10 or in the Store, is it old? Can you post a link to it?
    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for having responded. In the meantime, I gave up on Dictate and bought a Dragon system. 

Now my question is  how can I  uninstall Dictate.

The link to Dictate is http://dictate.ms/

Microsoft Garage is apparently sort of open source, not quite inside Microsoft itself. Dictate is pretty new. Here is more information about it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-garage-releases-dictate-voice-recognition-office-add-in/

Monday, October 9, 2017 11:00 PM