none
Project Pro 2013 does not reset Actual Start if %Complete is changed back to 0% and you are in Manual Task Mode RRS feed

• Question

• We have just noticed that Project Pro 2013 does not reset Actual Start if you change %Complete back to 0%.  This only happens in Manual Task Mode.  Our 2010 instances seem to be unaffected.

Is there a CU that fixes this?

We have 15.0.4815.1000

Chris

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi John - I have just confirmed the issue no longer appears in our v2013 instances either for our Corporate or Customer-based Project Servers.  I am going to assume the IT people have pushed CU's that now correct the problem.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:34 PM

All replies

• Chris,

You have the April Cumulative Update. I suggest you install the May Cumulative Update as it fixed a ton of items. For more information, see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/p/msp13.

Note, just because your particular issue may not be listed as one of the items fixed, not all fixed issues are listed.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hi John -

Are you seeing this issue resolved in the May CU?

Chris

Monday, May 16, 2016 10:48 AM
  • Chris,

Unfortunately I can't verify it since I don't have Project 2013. Did you apply the update and the problem still occurs?

John

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Hi John - Another IT contractor controls the infrastructure for our Customers.  If we could confirm that the CU addresses this problem then we can make a case to speed along a CU. Based on an internet search it appears this may be the first discovery of the problem. 

Our discovery was completely accidental... we were doing final testing of an upgrade to Project Pro/Server v2013 for a major customer when we noticed some tasks would not move to the project start date even if they were changed to auto-scheduled, constraints cleared, dependencies cleared, and %Complete changed to zero.  We then noticed some tasks splitting; this was our next clue.  If the box is checked for "split in-progress tasks" the tasks would split when we tried to move them.  Why should a task split if %Complete equals zero??? The answer is the Actual Start has not been cleared!  We then confirmed this is a 2013 phenomenon not resident in v2010.

We are going to compensate for this by building into our macros a function to clear Actual Start if Actual Start is not NA and %Complete < 1%.  Our preference is for Microsoft to recognize the bug and correct accordingly since this function will impede the performance of our macros.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, May 16, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Chris,

Okay, I've asked an MVP to help verify whether or not there is still an issue given your scenario. I'll let you know when I hear back, or perhaps they will jump in to this thread directly.

John

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Thanks!

Chris

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:16 PM
  • Chris,

I got confirmation that with the May 2016 Cumulative Update installed, the problem you report does not occur. Therefore I suggest you make your case to the IT contractor who controls updates and strongly suggest Project 2013 be updated with the May 2016 Cumulative Update.

John

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:50 PM
  • John - many thanks.  We will press for the May CU and then check the results.

Regards,

Chris

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:04 PM
  • John -

We have our company IT people tasked with applying the CU so we can test it internally first before we spin up our Customer's IT people on our operational system.  Hopefully we can have this tested by early next week.

Chris

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Chris,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:56 PM
  • John - Our IT people will push the CU late next week.  I should have an answer for you on Monday, May 30th.

Chris

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Chris,

Okay, thanks for the update.

John

Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi John - We actually had the CU applied late last week.  We are now at 15.0.4823.1000.  I am afraid we are still seeing the same problem.  Here is the slide we built for our people to explain the problem:

Chris 
    Monday, May 23, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Here are some more details that we are sharing with the team:

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Chris,

Sorry the update didn't take care of the issue. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have Project 2013 so I can't replicate or troubleshoot the issue. I'll solicit some help from a friend and ask them to jump in.

Update: Apparently there is more to this "story" than initially meets the eye. Further testing reveals some very strange behavior with different scenarios on manually scheduled tasks. Something is definitely awry and the issue is being flagged to Microsoft. I don't know if and when we will hear back but until then I suggest you avoid using manual scheduling as it is really only intended for initial rough schedule planning and not for use with a working plan.

John

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:20 PM
  • John - thanks for the feedback.

FYI - a friend of mine noticed that another %Complete issue that we have been tracking for v2010 is supposedly being fixed with the May CU.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115001

Chris

Monday, May 23, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Chris,

The whole thing started with a post back in January (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/project-2010-tasks-complete-bug/b9a522cc-5bc4-4b26-b1bd-4651ebe87671?auth=1). That issue got flagged and a fix was put into motion. Due to the similarity to your scenario, I thought it might also be the answer for your issue, but apparently not.

John

Monday, May 23, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hi John -

Yes, we have been aware of the 2010 issue and have been tracking it since December or January.  We couldn't believe that the processing had changed, so we were blaming our macros.  By February we had the problem quantified.  I made a post on the 2010 issue back in early Feb:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/a8df5d74-895f-4537-94f3-55ba433c984b/why-does-a-task-split-when-percent-complete-is-changed-back-to-zero?forum=projserv2010setup#a8df5d74-895f-4537-94f3-55ba433c984b

Back then we noticed that 2013 was not affected by the 2010 issue.  The issue in this thread seems to be different.  The 2010 issue is attacking auto-scheduled tasks where the 2013 issue attacks manual-scheduled tasks.

Chris

Monday, May 23, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hi John - I have just confirmed the issue no longer appears in our v2013 instances either for our Corporate or Customer-based Project Servers.  I am going to assume the IT people have pushed CU's that now correct the problem.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:34 PM