none
Downgrading from IE10 to IE9 or 8 breaks PDF RRS feed

• Question

• We have several applications that are only usable in IE8. After updates ran over the last few weeks, they received IE10. When the update is uninstalled, PDF files no longer open from within the browser. Is there any fix anyone has discovered for this?

EDIT:

It seems that Adobe Reader is no longer able to install the Browser Helper Object and Add-in that the application requires to display PDF files properly. I assume this is being blocked because IE10 has its own inbuilt pdf handler(?) and it created a registry entry to prevent the installation of the BHO and addin. Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks!

• Edited by DRforty2 Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there are a couple of PDF reader ActiveX controls that could possibly be installed on your computer? Which one?

Adobe Reader has a setting of its own to "Display PDF in Browser" but it also has a broker BHO "PDF link Helper" that may be disabled in your IE.

there are no x64 versions of any PDF ActiveX controls.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

In Internet Explorer, click Tools - Manage Add-ons and ensure the Add-ons “Adobe PDF Link Helper” exists and it is enabled.

Regarding this issue, please also refer to:

Display PDFs in Internet Explorer, AOL | Acrobat, Acrobat 3D, Reader 7 | Windows

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331025.html

Can't view PDF on the web

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:07 AM
  • maybe you just need to run an msi repair/reinstall of your PDF reader, after you roll the browser back?
    that should repair the PDF reader BHO/plugin registrations

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:00 AM
  • The Adobe PDF Link Helper is not there. I did a repair installation on the PC and that did not fix the issue.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:03 PM
  • PDF files no longer open from within the browser.

Foxit does that too with IE10 in EPM.   I usually get a prompt but can right-click, and open .pdf files in Foxit instead.   I'm not sure what conditions differentiate the two cases.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:18 PM
    Answerer
  • Did anyone get back to you on this issue? We are having the same problem and I cant seem to figure it out
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:34 AM
  • We are having the same problem and I cant seem to figure it out

If you don't get the prompt I mentioned, try toggling EPM off.

Otherwise, I would try getting a ProcMon trace for both cases to compare for their essential differences.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:46 AM
    Answerer