SCCM 2012 SP1 SQL Native backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please let me know whether SCCM 2012 SP1 supports native SQL Backup.

Do I have a option to backup the SCCM Site database through native SQL backup process.

I know that SCCM Site backup activity backs up SCCM Site database, registry and specific files and folders are backed up using .

Any supporting links will help

Kind Regards

Raj

Rajkumar

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:19 PM

Answers

• It does but you don't need to use SQL Maintenance tasks for SCCM 2012. The SCCM Maintenance task backup is more than sufficient and is the preferred method because, as you pointed out, it backs up so much more and make recovery easier.

Well, yes and no. It's absolutely supported to use a SQL backup only. I usually do prefer that method (SQL) as it does *not* generate so much overhead, the database backup can be compressed and there's no service downtime compared to the CM backup (as no ConfigMgr threads are stopped).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:34 PM
  • It does but you don't need to use SQL Maintenance tasks for SCCM 2012. The SCCM Maintenance task backup is more than sufficient and is the preferred method because, as you pointed out, it backs up so much more and make recovery easier.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712697

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsonsccm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

What we called in-flight data, inboxes, are not needed anymore when restoring a site. In fact none of that payload is needed except the DB, and you can get that from a SQL backup or the CM maintenance task. One will be quicker than the other. It really is up to you which option you choose, Microsoft have thankfully given us far more flexibility in this space. Result!

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:50 AM

All replies