none
Paste folders with the same name (undesirable folder merging) RRS feed

• Question

General description:

If I copy a folder called "TEST" and paste it in the same location where I copied it from I get a folder called "Copy of TEST" but if I paste it in a different location the system handles the paste operation in quite a different way.

Concrete situation (which describes what I mean with "undesirable folder merging"):

I have a folder named "HERE" containing 3 subfolders named "Test 1", "Test 2" and "Test 3" each subfolder contains 2 files named "This" and "That".

and

I have a folder named "THERE" containing 3 subfolders named "Test A", "Test B" and "Test 3" each subfolder contains 3 files named "This", "Tom" and "Jerry".

NOTE: All files in all sub/folders have the same extension.

If I copy the 3 subfolders from "THERE" and paste them into "HERE" I get the warning that the file "This" already exists and I have the usual overwrite, rename and skip options.

Why don't I get the warning that the folder "Test 3" already exists and get the overwrite, rename and skip options for the folder?

Sometimes while copying/pasting large amounts of folders (with subfolders inside) is not always possible to know which one (target/source) of the files contained in the folders/subfolders is the one to keep, so it would be actually nice if the user could configure the copy option in a way to get a warning about the existence of a folder with the same name rather than a file with the same name.

In fact in the situation described above (after the copy operation) it would be more logical and convenient (in the "rename" scenario) to find at the destination location (beside the others) the subfolders "Test 3" (containing 2 files named "This" and "That") and "Test 3_1" (containing 3 files named "This", "Tom" and "Jerry").

Currently (after the copy operation) beside the others, I find a single "Test 3" subfolder (containing 4 files named "This", "This_1", "Tom" and "Jerry"). In other words the sub/folders get merged with each other.

Can this behavior be changed?

I would prefer to have the option to rename the sub/folders (or get the "Copy of FOLDER NAME") and then decide which folder to delete and which one to keep.

Can this be done?

I hope the description is clear enough, if not please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your creative feedback,

Eta Beta
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:02 AM

All replies

• Basically WHAT I NEED is to copy (a large quantity of) folders to a specific partition which might already contain some folders with the same name, which might contain some subfolders and files ALSO with the same name.

And WHAT I DON'T NEED is to merge all folders (and subfolders) which happen to have the same name and gather inside them a bunch of renamed files (test_1, test_2, test_3, etc.) or even worse overwrite files which have the same name but are different (not only in date/time but also in content).

WHAT I WOULD LIKE is to sequentially rename folders (not files) which are being pasted in a location containing folders with the same name but with different contents.

I hope that somebody will come up with a good solution to handle this pesky situation.

Thanks
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hi Eta,

Essentially you are looking for a tool to migrate files from a location (A) to a location (B) where some files and folers of (A) may already exist in (B).

Where a file or folder exists in both (A) and (B), you require a filename modification (e.g. where file.doc exists on (A) and (B), when copied to (B) it will appear as file_A.doc)

If this is the case, I have come across this predicament before and used a freeware (personal use) tool (http://allwaysync.com/index.html)

I would suggest you set up a test environment where you know for sure there are same and differential files in both (A) and (B), this will help you with some of the custom rule settings. When you are sure, go ahead with the live transfer (always ensure you have a snapshot of both (A) and (B) just in case!

Best of luck!

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

Probably my long post must have been confusing you but I am not interested in filenames modifications at all.

I actually specifically wrote: "WHAT I WOULD LIKE is to sequentially rename folders (not files) which are being pasted in a location containing folders with the same name but with different contents."

In an effort to clarify I will adapt your nice A and B example to my situation.

I need to copy FOLDERS from location A to location B where:

- some FOLDERS of B may have the same name as some of the FOLDERS of A

- some FOLDERS of B may have different contents as some of the FOLDERS of A

- some files contained in the FOLDERS of B may have the same name as some of the files contained in the FOLDERS of A

- all the files contained in all FOLDERS in location A and location B have the same extensions and some of them have the same name BUT different content

When I copy the FOLDERS from location A to location B it would be nice to have the conflict of the FOLDERS with the same name resolved in this way:

Folder John, Folder John_1, Folder Mary, Folder Mary_1 etc. etc. 

What I do NOT want is to end up finding in B 1 Folder John and 1 Folder Mary containing the all the files of both FOLDERS of location A and location B renamed like File John, File John_1, File Mary, File Mary_1 etc. etc.

I hope this made things clearer.

Thanks again,

Eta Beta

Monday, July 18, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Hi Eta,

Not sure if i am still missing the point.

You can just mass re-name folders to folder_a if you wish and copy them to location (B)

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks again for your good intentions and dedication to help me solve this situation.

Due to the large quantity of folders in both locations (A and B) I am unable to remember (keep track of) which folders of B might have the same name of the newly created folders in A.

Actually what happens is that I get the "same-name-conflicts" when I am at the stage of pasting the folders from A into B and that's when I would really like to see a prompt saying something like: "A FOLDER WITH THE SAME NAME ALREADY EXISTS WOULD YOU LIKE TO: SKIP, OVERWRITE or RENAME THE FOLDER YOU ARE PASTING?"

I would happily click the RENAME option and then only the folders which happen to have the same name in both locations should be automatically renamed to Folder John, Folder John_1, Folder Mary, Folder Mary_1 etc. etc.

Afterward I would manually determine (based on the contents of each folder that has a renamed "twin") which folder to trash and which one to keep.

But the renaming (of the folders which have the same name) must happen automatically and I cannot do that manually in advance.

In other words I expect that what happens to files that get automatically renamed (if files with the same name exist) to File John, File John_1, File Mary, File Mary_1 etc. etc. would happen to folders, you got my point now?

I have been looking at all possible 3rd party applications (see list below) to find something that permits me to do what I described above but so far I have not been able to find that feature in any of the tested programs... I can hardly believe that I am the only person in the world with this problem!

BurstCopy
    Copy Handler
    CopyFaster
    Copywhiz
    ExtremeCopy
    FastCopy
    FF Copy
    File Copy
    KillCopy
    MiniCopier
    QCopy
    RichCopy
    Robocopy (also with GUI)
    Unstoppable Copier
    SuperCopier
    Talent Copy
    TeraCopy
    Total Copy
    Ultracopier

• Edited by Eta Beta Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:28 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Please feel free to follow also my other thread here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/paste-folders-with-the-same-name-undesirable/b2ace818-17db-4614-8672-ba8d5513e04c

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hi Eta, probably too late to help you, but might help someone else who was stumbles upon this page as I did.

I have found a sort of work around that might help your scenario/

Instead of copying over the contents of one of the folders, if you copy the whole main folders into the same location as the other, in this case copy THERE into the same location as HERE, and then merge the two by renaming one of them to the same name as the other, i.e. rename THERE to HERE, you get slightly different options. 

It will ask you if you want to merge THERE with HERE, and it will then ask you if you would like to merge any of the subfolders that have the same name, which it doesn't do when you merge by copying folders of the same name into the same location. If you choose to merge it will then prompt you if you want to overwrite, create copy, or skip for any files of the same name. If you choose not to merge, HERE will be a merge of all files excluding the ones you skipped, and THERE will remain just composed of the folders/ or files you chose not to merge (or copy/overwrite), allowing you to easily compare duplicate folders to see which is the one you want.

Hope this helps someone.

Al

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 9:49 AM