none
Move IIS Log files to AWS S3 Bucket... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeking to automate a process that will copy or move IIS logs to a remote location.

The following variables must be taken into account =

1. Copy or Move all IIS logs (xcopy?) to another location. (Each server maintains several websites)

2. Delete the existing log files up to the current day log file from each website/ server (free up disk space)

3. I need to retain the last 2 current days of logs per site / per server.

4.I'd like to be able to schedule this task per server.

5. This will be performed on several IIS web servers.

6. The logs will need to move into their respective folders within the remote location or as part of the process create a new folder name, confirm the copy/move of the logs and location.

7. I don't have to worry about retaining actual website paths from the servers as long as the log files are in the folders names which are labeled by //server name / website (W3SVC1, W3SVC4, W3SVC5, etc...)

8. End goal - scheduling an automated task that moves these logs into an AWS S3 location (amazon Storage bucket).

Thank you.

LRod

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Okay, so what's your question? All I see up there is a list of requirements (note that we don't write scripts on demand here).

My initial recommendation will be to look into using robocopy as a starting point:

http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Robocopy will move all logs as required.  It is extremely fast and very easy to manage.  Run it in the scheduler once a week and you will never have an issue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:57 PM
  • The initial question I should have posted:

q. Is there a simplified way to automate a process to move IIS logs to AWS S3 Bucket ?

I'll look into robocopy.

Thank you for the response.

LRod

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Robocopy can move it to a cache but that will not save space as the files will exist on the local machine.  You will have to use RoboCOpy to copy to a cloud drive and then delete the local copy.  THis can be done with RoboCopy.

Amazon should also have a utility that can do this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Will robocopy allow me to specify by date which IIS Log files can be to copied ?

In other words, I need to move all IIS log files but keeping the last 2 days in W3SVC folder.

Amazon tools are being looked into but it introduces another tool that need sot be installed.

I rather create and schedule a new task to run the job per server.

A gui tool I will if needed as a last option.

(^_^)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Are there any recommendations on the switches used within Robocopy ?

Thank you

(^_^)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Hint: You can search for information that can be useful.

Search terms: robocopy documentation

First result is link to robocopy documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx

As an aside, I would note that this isn't really a robocopy support forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:44 PM