none
Custom components in IEAK 11 - post-install updates / patches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm trying to deploy IE 11 to our company via System Center 2012 SP1 CU4. I'm attempting to create an .MSI file using the IEAK 11. That's no problem. I can get IE to install using this method. The problem I'm having is when I try to include (add) patches and updates to the installation/.MSI. I'm using the IEAK and am asking them to "install after system restarts" (after IE 11 has been successfully installed). The patch I'm trying to install is KB3087038. I've downloaded the Windows6.1-KB3087038-x64.msu file and have extracted the .cab file from it (You can only select .exe or .cab files for this process.) One of the websites, a Microsoft site, says to insert a command in the "Command:" box to extract the file. The command I insert there is: "expand IE11-Windows6.1-KB3087038-x64.cab -f:* c:\temp" A print-screen is attached below:

When I do this, however, I receive the following error message after IE 11 is installed and the system is rebooted. No files are extracted to the c:\temp folder:

Error: could not locate INF file 'expand IE11-Windows6.1-KB3087038-x64.cab -f:* c:\temp'. So I click OK and the system continues booting into Windows 7. The patch is never applied.

Do any of you have advice for me? Am I using the correct syntax in the Command box? Thank you.

• Edited by Natus D Monday, September 14, 2015 5:06 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, you can do some test to check whether it is the update package issue or the command path issue. You can just try to change another extract path or change another KB package to test.

Secondly, you can try to use the command below in command box for test.

expand c:\source\IE\IE11-Windows6.1-KB3087038-x64.cab -f:*.INF c:\temp

If all the tests are failed, we consider it may be the reason below.

Based on my research, we find the install section of the INF File is an important part of the installation which contain installation information for the component, while the original inf file in the cab cannot achieve this, that's why IE insists pulling the updates from internet.

I think you can learn more information about how to INF file for Internet distribution in the link below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa741200(v=vs.85).aspx

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:38 AM

All replies

• Am I using the correct syntax in the Command box?

FWIW as a guess I might try to fully qualify it but I would probably use ProcMon first to find out what was going on and then know that that would be necessary or if something else needed to be specified differently.   Note that you should be able to find the correct context for the error in the trace by looking for the Operation Is WriteFile event for the most relevant diagnostic message; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 3:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Firstly, you can do some test to check whether it is the update package issue or the command path issue. You can just try to change another extract path or change another KB package to test.

Secondly, you can try to use the command below in command box for test.

expand c:\source\IE\IE11-Windows6.1-KB3087038-x64.cab -f:*.INF c:\temp

If all the tests are failed, we consider it may be the reason below.

Based on my research, we find the install section of the INF File is an important part of the installation which contain installation information for the component, while the original inf file in the cab cannot achieve this, that's why IE insists pulling the updates from internet.

I think you can learn more information about how to INF file for Internet distribution in the link below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa741200(v=vs.85).aspx

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:38 AM
  • Hi folks,

I am woefully lost, having this exact issue.  Trying to get an IE install with the AIK that has the same Cumulative Update KB 3087038.

I'm not a package install expert and need help understanding the Answer to this post.

Do I need to learn how to create an INF file of my own, as per that link?  The command recommended did export an INF file from the CAB.  How does the INF get into the install?  Or is it expected that we are delivering the .INF in some other fashion like GP or SCCM?Any help would be much appreciated!

Friday, October 9, 2015 4:25 PM
  • I'm still having the same issue. I have tried many things. I cannot get post-installation patches to install using the IEAK 11. Any help here is appreciated.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:28 PM
  • I too am having this issue. Any luck Natus d?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:43 AM
  • I'm sorry, but I never figured this out. Please post here if you do. Thanks
    Monday, January 4, 2016 3:26 PM