none
Question about Inactive Replica RRS feed

• Question

• This is hopefully a simple question with a simple answer.

We retired a VM that was being backed up from the host.  I stopped protection of the VM and chose to retain the data. 

It moved the data to the Inactive Protection as i expected. It's been a month since I removed the VM from protection, but the data is still available under Inactive Protection.  Should this data have expired automaticall?.  I have no issue manually deleting the data, but i am more than curious at this point.

Thank you

Ian

Ian

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two ways to answer this, depending if the VM was co-located on the same replica as other protected VM's, or if the VM was on a dedicated replica of it's own.

On Co-Located replica.
    ==============
    DPM should maintain the VM in inactive protection group until the last recovery point (shadow copy)  is deleted that the VM was in. 
    IE: If the retention range of the PG is 60 days, then the VM should remain in inactive protection and be restorable for 60 days, on the 61st day, the last RP will be deleted and should then be removed from inactive protection.  This is because ALL vm's on a co-located replica share the same shadow copies and they must be pruned regardless if a VM is actively protected or not.

Separate dedicated replica
    =================
    Inactive protection will remain forever until you delete it manually.  This is because no new RP's are being made, so no old recovery points can be pruned.  The retention range of a protection group stands for "X days that have recovery points" not  "X calendar days".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:26 PM